Juilliard article - NYT

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Juilliard article - NYT

Post by bort »

Dubby wrote:As a *non-music major* college student pursuing Religion, German, and Philosophy, I can relate to the article and massive debt that *can* accumulate: however, I am getting paid to be in college after all is said and done and worked out between various scholarships. My university is probably not known outside of the midwest, but will it really make that much of a difference later on if someone went to Julliard or CCM or the University of Minnesota for any particular degree? Obviously one should choose a school that is affordable and has proven success, but how much of an impact does the name actually make?
As a non-music graduate student at the University of Minnesota :P ... one of my professors told us point blank to NOT spend any more time or effort on his class than is absolutely necessary to get a B. Don't waste our time trying to get an A-, let alone waste time trying to turn an A- into an A. His advice: "B's get degrees."

I think that kind of oversimplifies things, but at least in my field, it's true. People just want to see letters after your name, they don't really care where you went.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:

bloke "My favorite scheme for funding 'higher' education, though, is the tax-the-poor scheme...whereby the lowest income folk are systematically addicted to gambling, and their SSI money is funneled into state lotteries at convenience stores. :tuba: "
It makes some of us feel good that the "little guy" is being looked out for and taken care of. 8)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
milissam
lurker
lurker

Post by milissam »

For me, I just really couldn't see myself doing anything else for the rest of my life. The tuba pretty much defines my life. I realize the job opportunities are going to be slim, but I feel like that's something that comes along with it. Being a student can be a bit unnerving at times when speaking about jobs, especially reading articles like this.
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

I earned my living playing for about five years. Earning a living playing music is a grind like any other job. It isn't about what you want to play, but what the audience wants to hear. I am much happier now that I earn my living doing something else and play what I want, when I want and where I want. Playing the tuba is so important to me that I want to do it on my terms.
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone