Any results from Philadelphia? Bookmark and Share

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results

Any results from Philadelphia?

Postby Doc » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:40 pm

Anyone?

Doc
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

well

Postby james » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:37 pm

There were 17 guys on Thursday. And then, depsite information told to me by the personnel manager, they listened to MANY more than the originally intended 12 people on Saturday. I gathered from someone there that they ended up listening to 51 people total for both days. Apparently this also made for some crammed listening due to over expected numbers. On Thursday they definitely advanced Randy Montgomery, Craig Sutherland, and Kyle Turner. Also, gathered from people who were there on Saturday, some of the names who advanced were Dan Peck, Dave Satlzman, Craig Knox, and Dennis Nulty. I can't remember the rest(anyone care to fill in the blanks?). Exerpts asked in the prelims were Meistersinger opening and solo, Hungarian March, Prokofiev 5, Mahler 1, Benvenutto Cellini, Petrouchka, Ride and Symphonic Metamorphosis. Names advanced straight to semis are Steve Campbell, Chris Hall, Ed Diefes, and Dave Kirk. This is NOT conspiracy theory. This was either viewed first hand or told by someone who was there on Saturday.
james
pro musician
pro musician

Postby MikeMason » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:51 pm

anyone else wondering why Chris Hall would be in the mix? Thought the Met was a mountain top type gig....maybe he just wants some different rep.....
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Dan Satterwhite » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:02 am

Andy Miller of the Alabama Symphony also advanced on Saturday.
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:20 am

When are the semi's and finals?

Doc
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Oompah995 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:41 am

Alright, Dennis! :D
Oompah995

dates....

Postby james » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:37 am

Semis are Tomorrow....Finals are Friday the 18th.
james
pro musician
pro musician

dates....

Postby james » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:37 am

Semis are Tomorrow....Finals are Friday the 18th.
james
pro musician
pro musician

Postby joebob » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:16 pm

I heard there were/are four finalists and that Craig Sutherland and Dave Kirk are two of them. Anyone have any further info about today's final round?
joebob
bugler
bugler

Postby Gator » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:35 pm

There were four finalist: Alessandro Fossi, David Kirk, Craig Sutherland and Kyle Turner. All four played behind a screen and the field was narrowed down to two: Mr. Fossi and Mr. Sutherland. Both played a final round with the trombone section. Nobody was hired.
Gator
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:49 pm

Gator wrote: Nobody was hired.

Is anyone really surprised? It's getting to be a sad joke. Keep jerking around all the contestants. Make them spend more dough to go to additional auditions.

Doc
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby WoodSheddin » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:57 pm

Gator wrote: Nobody was hired.

Someone restrain bloke
sean chisham
WoodSheddin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gator » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:09 pm

Is anyone really surprised?

No, not really. The Philadelphia Orchestra got what they deserved today. This is what happens when you ask for too much music at an audition; a situation that makes it impossible for applicants to sound their best. Sadly, this was a loose-loose situation for everyone involved.
Gator
bugler
bugler

Postby Tubadork » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:27 am

:( :cry: :? :roll: :cry:
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:31 am

This just keeps reinforcing to me why I decided to go to repair school, have a full time steady job, and just play as a side business, whenever I get paid for it.

I just don't understand why orchestras feel that they have to have different hiring practices for a job than companies do? Ususally, a company will take who is the best of the group, even if they think that they could do better, just because that company needs people. Why not do the same with an orchestra?

Probably just makes too much sense.

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:35 am

WoodSheddin wrote:Someone restrain bloke

hmm...I decided to delete my post that made this exact prediction, simply because it came off as too typically blokishly cynical.

bloke "all the restraint you'll need"
Last edited by bloke on Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby phoenix » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:58 am

What will the next step be? Will they have another audition?
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Postby LV » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:37 pm

phoenix wrote:What will the next step be? Will they have another audition?

At least another, possibly several...
LV

Postby Doc » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:38 pm

Yes. The audition committee, and those who chose the list, are idiots. No sense whatsoever. The auditioners will have to pony up hundreds of $$$ to return and audition, not to mention time and trouble. I doubt Philly will pay any, much less all, their expenses. I remember the excerpt list being unusually long. Idiots. There are a couple of folks I know that auditioned and made the last round or two. It will be interesting to hear what they say when it's all finally over.

Doc
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:40 pm

TubaAS wrote:I just don't understand why orchestras feel that they have to have different hiring practices for a job than companies do?

Once a musician is hired and gets "tenure" it is next to impossible to get rid of them. At a "normal" company, if an employee is not doing his or her job up to the company's expectations, they can be fired. Not so in orchestras. So, orchestras decide auditons with the thought that the person selected will probably be there for 20, 30 or more years.
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Next

Return to OPPORTUNITIES - education - employment