Chicago Symphony principal trumpet

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

Chicago Symphony principal trumpet

Post by Dan Satterwhite »

I didn't see this posted anywhere else...

from the ITG website:

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra has announced the appointment of Chris Martin to the Principal Trumpet post, ending a long period of fascinated speculation in the trumpet world. The CSO's press release, issued 1st March, reads:

"The Chicago Symphony Orchestra is pleased to announce that Christopher Martin has been appointed to the position of Principal Trumpet. Mr. Martin comes to the CSO from the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, where he has served as Principal Trumpet since 2001.

"Before joining the Atlanta Symphony, Mr. Martin was Associate Principal Trumpet of the Philadelphia Orchestra. The 29-year-old trumpeter has been an affiliate trumpet professor at Emory University in Atlanta and Temple University in Philadelphia, and has given master classes at conservatories and colleges throughout the United States, including at the Manhattan School of Music. He has performed as Principal Trumpet with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Seattle Symphony, and the Grand Teton Music Festival.

"Mr. Martin, a native of Marietta, Georgia, comes from a musical family. His father, Freddy Martin, is a band director for a prestigious Georgia private school, and his mother, Lynda Martin, sings in the Atlanta Symphony Chorus. While a member of the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra, Mr. Martin trained with then-Atlanta Symphony Orchestra trumpeter Larry Black. He later received his bachelor’s degree in trumpet performance in 1997 from the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, New York, where his primary teachers were Charles Geyer and Barbara Butler. As Principal Trumpet of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, he can be heard on a number of recent recordings, including the ASO’s 2003 Grammy Award-winning recording of Ralph Vaughan Williams' A Sea Symphony conducted by Robert Spano."
TonyTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by TonyTuba »

:lol:
Last edited by TonyTuba on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Granados
Triangle Brass Band and Triangle Youth Brass Band, Music Director

http://www.tonytuba.com" target="_blank
http://www.trianglebrass.org" target="_blank
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

WOW!
Chris is a real super guy too!
It's great to see good things happen to good people.
:D
Bill Pritchard
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
neil
pro musician
pro musician

Post by neil »

Last edited by neil on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
pro musician
pro musician

Post by neil »

Last edited by neil on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

PhilW. wrote: Big fat sound, just like Bud, and dead-on intonation.
Chris has been playing like this for years (at least since 1993) and is a phenomenally nice guy to boot.

SR
neil
pro musician
pro musician

Post by neil »

Last edited by neil on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ccnftubadave
bugler
bugler

YAY CHRIS!!!

Post by ccnftubadave »

I can honestly say I played with Chris at Eastman. He was truly a phenom. He made Colchester Fantasy sound easy. He helped us win the quintet competition at the NY Brass Conference too. When he got Philly right out of the gates, I knew there was no stopping him. He looks so relaxed when he plays. He taught me how to practice and drive at the same time. Thanks for that! (don't ask how I fit a PT-6 in the front seat)

Way to go Chris!