Rich Matteson Jazz Competition!!

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
JoeDollard
lurker
lurker

Rich Matteson Jazz Competition!!

Post by JoeDollard »

RICH MATTESON JAZZ COMPETITION!! Rules and regulations are out! More details about how to submit your recording when you are ready will be available at the ITEA website (iteaonline.org). Please spread the word! If you have a student or know a teacher that might, let them know about this competition! There is no better way to get introduced to jazz than to work up a few tunes and send in a recording! Although the prize money has not yet been officially set, we have raised extra funds for this competition so the final amounts will be much higher than past competitions.

**Recordings due FEBRUARY 1, 2016**

The Rich Matteson Jazz Competition is open to all individual tuba and euphonium players. First round recordings must be accompanied by a rhythm section (either live or “play-along”) consisting of piano/guitar, bass, and drums. For the final round, a live rhythm section will be provided. In both rounds, the performance of each tune must include an improvised solo.

Recorded Round
1. One of the following tunes as a medium/up-tempo swing. (Take at least two solo choruses):
-All the Things You Are (Kern/Hammerstein)
-Alone Together (Schwartz/Dietz)
-Back Home Again in Indiana (MacDonald/Hanley) or Donna Lee (Parker)
-My Romance (Rodgers/Hart)
-There is No Greater Love (Jones/Symes)
2. A contrasting tune of your choice (i.e., ballad, bossa nova, etc.)

Final Round (Live)
1. One of the following tunes as a medium-tempo swing:
-Confirmation (Parker)
-I Hear a Rhapsody (Fragos/Baker/Gasparre)
-I Love You (Porter)
-In Your Own Sweet Way (Brubeck)
-Stella by Starlight (Young)
2. An up-tempo rhythm changes or blues tune of your choice.
3. A ballad of your choice. (Please provide lead sheets for rhythm section.)
4. A tune of your choice from a contrasting style (i.e., bossa nova, funk, latin jazz, modal, fusion,
traditional jazz, etc.). (Please provide lead sheets for rhythm section.)