Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

After 34 years with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra, I am retiring after this season. The Principal Tuba position is full-time for a 41 week season, in a 65 piece orchestra with an excellent brass section and a very good, tuba-friendly hall. Canadian auditions are scheduled for February 13, 2016. For further information contact

Michael Thomson
Orchestra Personnel Manager
2nd Floor, 205 - 8th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0K9
Cell: 403.992.5082
Ph: 403.571.0269
Fx: 403.294.7424
mthomson@calgaryphil.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.calgaryphil.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Michael Eastep
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mbeastep on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra

Post by bisontuba »

Congratulations Mike!
Mark
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Congratulations on your well deserved retirement Michael! It was a pleasure to meet you and hear you in Calgary!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Mark

Post by Mark »

Calgary is a very nice city and makes a great base stations for some of the most spectacular excursions in the world. I envy you and your replacement.
bobn
bugler
bugler

Post by bobn »

Congrats Mike! Big shoes to fill for your successor.

It was a great pleasure to meet you and perform with you on a few occasions when I was living in that part of the country.

Any more thoughts about coming out east?

Bob
Bob Nicholson
Maritime Brass Quintet (Tuba and Bass Trombone)
Symphony Nova Scotia (Bass Trombone)

Wessex Gnagey EEb (Wick 3L and 3SL)
Bach 50B3 w/Yamaha inline valves (Schilke 59)
Jinbao Euphonium
kathott
bugler
bugler

Post by kathott »

Big news indeed. Mike is leaving quite a legacy: hundreds of wonderful performances, many fine students, various musical projects outside the CPO, and many admirers. His tuba sound is a lesson in itself. I have sought Mike's opinions and advice over the years, he has a lucid view of the musical world and a wealth of knowledge. Seeing the bigger musical picture is one of Mike's qualities - he has never been "tubacentric". I miss the socking big American sound he used to get out of his old hybrid Holton/Conn/York (?), but he sounds pretty much the same on anything he picks up, that is, GREAT. Congratulations Mike.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
Sylvano
bugler
bugler

Post by Sylvano »

34 years! Wow time passes so fast. You absolutely meritted this retirement.

I will always be thankful for all the opportunities you gave me. You influence still pays off every day I play.

I hope to meet somewhere and sometime in your retirement for a cheer.

Sylvain
Sylvain Gagnon
Kingston, Ontario
Principal Tuba Kingston Symphony
Music Director, Communications & Electronics Garrison Military Band
marktuba
bugler
bugler

Post by marktuba »

Congratulations, Mike! Enjoy your retirement.

Mark
Mark E Tetreault

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where pimps and thieves run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"- Hunter Thompson
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

I would be glad to provide further information about the city and the orchestra for anyone who is interested.

Michael Eastep
LucGeraats
bugler
bugler

Post by LucGeraats »

Is there any chance it'll be an international audition?
Hirsbrunner 290 cc 1979
Hirsbrunner 392 cc 2002
Miraphone Belcanto F
Melton 200 6/4 Bb 1989
Alexander F 1957
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

There is a reasonable chance, but with a number of fine players in Canada, there is an equally good chance that the hiring will be done on that level. It's certainly not pre-determined.

Michael
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

YorktonFront1(small).jpg
kathott wrote:Big news indeed. Mike is leaving quite a legacy: hundreds of wonderful performances, many fine students, various musical projects outside the CPO, and many admirers. His tuba sound is a lesson in itself. I have sought Mike's opinions and advice over the years, he has a lucid view of the musical world and a wealth of knowledge. Seeing the bigger musical picture is one of Mike's qualities - he has never been "tubacentric". I miss the socking big American sound he used to get out of his old hybrid Holton/Conn/York (?), but he sounds pretty much the same on anything he picks up, that is, GREAT. Congratulations Mike.
Actually, it was a Holton with a 22" York bell, courtesy of Richard Barth, who always did like big American tubas. I liked to call it a "Yorkton." There were no Conn parts, as far as I know. Where is it now? Somewhere in Virginia I heard.
MBE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

Congratulations to Tom McCaslin, who finished on top with an excellent audition and will play an upcoming concert with the orchestra as part of the evaluation process. The rep. is Neilsen 4.

mbe
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Congratulations to Tom! Not surprising that he finished first yesterday. Such a great player.
Congratulations also to FIVE of my current or former students for going to the semi-finals.
Sasha Johnson
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

mbeastep wrote:
Actually, it was a Holton with a 22" York bell, courtesy of Richard Barth, who always did like big American tubas. I liked to call it a "Yorkton." There were no Conn parts, as far as I know. Where is it now? Somewhere in Virginia I heard.
MBE
Here?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70402" target="_blank" target="_blank
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

Re: Thank you Lee Stofer for my 345

Postby mbeastep » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:53 pm
Thank you for the before and after pictures. Yes, this was Dick Barth's horn which he used for at least some of a recording of the Metropolitan Brass Quintet of Cleveland in the late 70s or early 80s before switching bells and selling it to me in 1983. I subsequently used it as my main instrument in the Calgary Philharmonic until 2000. I had added a main slide device to address the flatness of bottom line G. This has now been removed, and I wonder whether Lee's modifications addressed that problem. I was always conscious that the 4rth valve G never centered as well as I would have liked, so it's interesting to hear about it being treated by moving a brace. As to the bell, having started life on a York 3-valve BBb, I always loved the York bell on the Holton. When I consulted the late Bob Rusk, he suggested cutting the bell to 19", but I could never bring myself to do it.

Did you consider adding a 5th valve?

I'm glad to know that the instrument continues to evolve. I think it's beautiful, too.

Michael Eastep
About to be retired from
Steve Oberheu
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Congrats Tom!! Canada will be better for having you back in it!! Thrilled for you, my friend!!
"Love Songs & Pirate Songs: The Life and Music of Roger Bobo" — the new authorized biography — is available now at: http://www.upperhaymusic.com/?product=l ... iratesongs
Timswisstuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Timswisstuba »

Congratulations Tom! That's great news.