UCLA - Openings for Bachelor, Master, and DMA Tuba & Euph!

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

UCLA - Openings for Bachelor, Master, and DMA Tuba & Euph!

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Hi Everyone,

The UCLA Tuba and Euphonium Studio will have several openings for the 2016 - 2017 school year, including two graduate level openings for tuba or euphonium and one or two undergraduate openings for either instrument. Auditions will take place at UCLA on Saturday, January 30th, 2016.

UCLA is now one of the best music schools in the country, and we're part of one of the world's leading research institutions! The 2016 - 2017 school year will mark the beginning of the Herb Alpert School of Music as a standalone school within UCLA at-large - this announcement was immediately followed by a $10 million gift to support classical music performance and education within the school. We have a brand new building - the Evelyn and Mo Ostin Center - which includes practice space, offices, a stunning large ensemble room and a great recording studio.

Our flagship orchestra, the UCLA Philharmonia, has recently garnered outstanding praise for its new recordings. In addition to two orchestras, UCLA tuba and euphonium students can perform in two wind ensembles, the brass ensemble - both the large brass ensemble and the smaller "symphonic" brass ensemble - brass quintet, and tuba ensemble. I also teach a weekly studio class that allows us all to congregate, play for each other, and learn more about maximizing our potential as musicians.

Finally, we have several guest artists and lecturers every year; this year, I'm pleased to be hosting Thomas Allely from the Queensland Symphony and Queensland Conservatorium, Dave Kirk from the Houston Symphony and Rice University, and Norm Pearson from the LA Phil and Colburn. Highlights from the last two years include Melbourne Symphony's Tim Buzbee, Oregon University's Mike Grose, Charlotte Symphony's Tom Burge, LA Phil's Andrew Bain and Tom Hooten, Indiana University's Jeff Nelsen, and The U.S. Army Brass Quintet. In addition to weekly one-on-one lessons with me, you get exposure to an outstanding brass faculty, including LA Philharmonic trombonist Jim Miller, movie studio horn player Amy Sanchez, and international trumpet superstar Jens Lindemann.

Financial aid is very much available, and there may be a possibility of assistantships for graduate students. In-state tuition rates are available to California residents; if you come from out-of-state, it is possible to claim California residency after one year, thus vastly lowering your tuition costs!

Of course, if you come to school here, you'll be in the heart of one of the greatest cultural hubs in the world. Between the LA Phil, LA Chamber Orchestra, LA Opera, Pacific Symphony, and an enormous assortment of international guest artists, local chamber ensembles, and regional orchestras, there is never a shortage of incredible music in greater Los Angeles. Add to that the awesome foodie scene, the picturesque community of Westwood, the beach, mountains, and the Mediterranean climate, and you'll have an ideal setting for music and for living.

If you are interested in applying for the studio and will be in Los Angeles before the audition date, you are more than welcome to contact me for a free lesson! I am always happy to work with you and get to know you before your audition. I've found that it's a great way to learn about you and for you to get to know the school and my teaching. Also: if you can't make the audition date, feel free to get in touch with me. We might be able to work something out.

If you'd like to learn more, click the link to access the UCLA Tuba and Euphonium Studio website. Please feel free to contact me anytime via e-mail or private message. If you'd like to talk on the phone, send me a message with your number and I'll call you at a time that's convenient for you.

Thanks for reading! Hope to see you at auditions!

Aubrey Foard
Principal Tuba, Charlotte Symphony Orchestra
Faculty, UCLA Tuba and Euphonium Studio
Artist Faculty, Brevard Music Center
Last edited by Aubrey Foard on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Re: UCLA - Openings for Bachelor, Master, and DMA Tuba & Eup

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Only three weeks (and change) left to apply!

tl;dr above? Here you go: one undergrad, two grad openings! New building, new school! Tons of performance opportunities! Awesome guests! World-famous faculty! Financial aid! In-state tuition after 1 yr (if non-Cali)! Free lesson if at UCLA before auditioning! Exclamation points!!!!!! Website

(How's that?)
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Only 12 days left!

P.S. For those of you in Southern California, the UCLA Faculty Brass Quintet will be performing this SUNDAY, November 22nd at 8 pm on UCLA's campus. Here is the link to the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1783181025242635/
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

tuesday, Tuesday, TUESDAY! Applications are due on TUESDAY at the Thunderdome Arena!!! ...I mean, on the UCLA website.

Let me know if you have any questions - happy practicing! :tuba:
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED

Folks! If you're still interested in applying to UCLA, the deadline has been extended through the end of the year!

I would love to get more Master of Music applicants. If you know someone that may be interested, please pass the word on to them! Tons of scholarship money, T.A. opportunities, in-state tuition in year two.

Any questions, email or message me.

Cheers,
Aubrey