Bard College Conservatory- ONE tuba eligible for $$$

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Tuboxchef
bugler
bugler

Bard College Conservatory- ONE tuba eligible for $$$

Post by Tuboxchef »

Bard College Conservatory is accepting applications for Fall 2016! I'm very excited that Bard is offering up to a full scholarship, room, and board to an eligible undergraduate or graduate student for this coming fall. The undergraduate degree is a double degree program, meaning you will be majoring in music performance, as well as another major of your choice. Unfortunately Bard does not offer a music education program currently. In the past most students major in a language, another art (photography is popular), or philosophy. The second major is completely up to you.

Brass Faculty at Bard Conservatory:
Horn
Barbara Jöstlein Currie (Metropolitan Opera Orchestra)
Julie Landsman (ret. principal horn Metropolitan Opera Orchestra)
Jeffrey Lang (Philadelphia Orchestra)
Julia Pilant (Metropolitan Opera Orchestra)
Trumpet
Carl Albach (American Symphony Orchestra)
Trombone
Demian Austin (Metropolitan Opera Orchestra)
George Curran (New York Philharmonic)
Weston Sprott (Metropolitan Opera Orchestra)
Tuba
Derek Fenstermacher (New Jersey Symphony)

Here is everything you ever wanted to know:
-If you are a high school Senior, you'll be applying for our Undergraduate program. If you are a college graduate, you'll be applying for our APS program.

Scholarship-
-merit based means we will review your past performance in high school, and assuming your grades (and playing) are good enough, you are eligible for up to full scholarship, room, and board!

Playing opportunities at Bard-
-Bard Conservatory is unique in that we only enroll enough musicians to fill out our Conservatory Orchestra. Bard does not have a wind band or marching band, only an orchestra.
-a quick note about the orchestra, it's really GREAT! Not only will you be working with Leon Botstein, Bard's Orchestra tours internationally on a regular basis. In the summer of 2014 they went on a 2 week tour of Europe, with stops in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Budapest, Berlin, Warsaw, Vienna, Bratislava, and Prague! Highlights of past seasons with Bard Orchestra include Strauss Till Eulenspiegel, Shostakovich Symphony No. 15, Wagner's Götterdämmerung: Siegfried's Death & Funeral Music, Copland Symphony No. 3, Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6, Hindemith Symphonic Metamorphoses, Rachmanianoff Symphonic Dances, John Adams “Dr. Atomic Symphony”, Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra, and Elgar Symphony #1.

-other playing opportunities include orchestral training classes including an all new Brass Class, which combines all the brass students to work through major orchestral works, while being coached by Bard's great faculty
-low brass class, which is run by myself, where we rehearse through major orchestral pieces that are commonly asked in auditions (as well going over strategies for when orchestral auditions call for low brass section playing)
-chamber music opportunities, including a great brass quintet that I coach as well. In the summer of 2014 the Hudson Valley Brass (one of our former quintets) went on a playing tour of South Africa!
-amazing facilities, including a brand new conservatory building and concert hall designed by Frank Gehry (who designed Walt Disney Hall in L.A.)

Living in New York-
-Red Hook (on google Maps you'd search for Annandale-on-Hudson) is GORGEOUS, nestled next to the Catskill Mountains, so the view is amazing year-round. Bard's campus is surprisingly quiet for its size, due to its strict enrollment, so you'll find it quaint and peaceful as you walk around campus. This is a great campus to really think about life, contemplate the American dream, etc.
-There is some really great dining in the area, and the cost of living is comparable to living in the Northeast (meaning costs are a little higher than elsewhere in country for food, gas, etc.)
-only 2 hours from New York City by car or train, 3 hours from Boston, 3 hours from Philadelphia, and 80 minutes from New Jersey
-Bard is really great about reimbursing you for expenses in travel. If you want to come down and hear the New York Philharmonic/Met Opera, or hear New Jersey Symphony (my orchestra), Bard will reimburse you for the train trip (or mileage if you drive). If you decide to come to New Jersey for a lesson for example, Bard will pay for your travel expenses.

What is the APS program?-
-The Advanced Performers' Study degree is the same as an "AD" or "PC" (performer's certificate) you may have seen at other schools. I like to think of it as a "bridge" between your undergrad and masters. Winning a job is sometimes just a matter of time, and ideally remaining in school (especially for free) is vital if you want to stay hungry and competitive. By doing an APS like at Bard, you'll be adding 2 more years to your college study on top of getting a Master's degree, giving you 4 years to find that dream job instead of 2. Add in a DMA down the road and you'll have up to 7 years of college study to land that dream job!
-with the minimal academics, you'll be able to practice to your heart's desire! Beside the scholarship, I think this is the 2nd best thing about the degree, you have the TIME to hone your instrument.

If you have further questions, please send me a private message. If you would like to apply please email Frank Corliss (Dir. of Admissions): corliss@bard.edu" target="_blank

Helpful links:
http://www.bard.edu/conservatory" target="_blank
http://www.bard.edu/conservatory/news" target="_blank
http://www.bard.edu/conservatory/faculty" target="_blank
http://www.bard.edu/conservatory/undergraduate" target="_blank
http://www.bard.edu/conservatory/aps" target="_blank
This is the GORGEOUS hall you will be performing in as Bard student:
http://fishercenter.bard.edu" target="_blank
Derek Fenstermacher

I own tubas.
pineapple-power
lurker
lurker

Re: Bard College Conservatory- ONE tuba eligible for $$$

Post by pineapple-power »

This is a fantastic opportunity. Thank you for sharing!