Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Bookmark and Share

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results

Re: Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra

Postby russiantuba » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:52 pm

euphoni wrote:Retired since 2009??? That makes it so much worse. In what world is seven years not a long time to fill a position? The premise about there being NO time to hold an audition doesn't hold any water because to my count, there have been 2-3 Second Trombone ("Assistant Principal") auditions and numerous other auditions (Principal Clarinet, Associate Principal Flute, etc.) just within the past few years, let alone that seven year period. So, sorry, even with your assumptions based on Cincy's collective bargaining agreement, it still doesn't make sense to not fill a main position that has been open for seven years, especially since numerous other auditions, including Principal auditions, have taken place.

Mike may have officially retired in 2009, but he was not playing at least the year before that. When I moved to Ohio in 2009, I was told he hadn't played at least 1 season, and from what I was told by others, perhaps up to two seasons more than that. He still held the spot, probably as part of the contract.

To add to this, Carson was not their principal tubist in terms of pay. I do not know if he was per service or not in terms of pay, or what/any benefits were given. Prior to Carson, the situation was similar to this year, calling people out for a couple of concerts and such. Hiring a long term player until they decided to do an audition would help build the section and create consistency.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer of Music--Low Brass
Ohio Northern University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
russiantuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Carson McTeer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:30 am

Hello everyone! I've learned some interesting things about myself and my time in Cincinnati here! Please continue!

Here's what everyone interested in the job should know:

It's an amazing gig. Whoever wins it will be very happy there and will be surrounded by incredible musicians and even better colleagues. I would have been happy playing there for the rest of my life but I was very fortunate to be able to accept a position at West Virginia University and live in the same town as my wife and daughter. Go take the audition - it is wide open!
Carson McTeer
lurker
lurker

Postby bort » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:05 am

Carson McTeer wrote:I would have been happy playing there for the rest of my life but I was very fortunate to be able to accept a position at West Virginia University and live in the same town as my wife and daughter.

If that doesn't speak to the sacrifices necessary to make a career as a professional tuba player, I don't know what does...
Willson 3050-RZ
^For sale! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87580
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby anonymous4 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:45 pm

bort wrote:
Carson McTeer wrote:I would have been happy playing there for the rest of my life but I was very fortunate to be able to accept a position at West Virginia University and live in the same town as my wife and daughter.

If that doesn't speak to the sacrifices necessary to make a career as a professional tuba player, I don't know what does...

Absolutely. A professor of horn I know has an unofficial rule in his studio that undergraduates are not allowed to have a boyfriend or girlfriend until they win an audition.
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Postby dctrtuba17 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:25 pm

I was fortunate enough to get invited.
The excerpt list is pretty "healthy". Fountains, Bydlo, etc.
I'm enjoying working up the Sarabande from the 6th Bach cello suite. :tuba:
Working hard!
-Eric
dctrtuba17
lurker
lurker

Postby hockeyched » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:06 pm

I hope that was a typo or a joke. Its the 5th cello suite.
-Josh Davis
Ball State University DA in progress
pt6p, pt10
hockeyched
bugler
bugler

Postby Ace » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:03 pm

hockeyched wrote:I hope that was a typo or a joke. Its the 5th cello suite.

Typo or joke? As you may or may not know, there is a lovely Sarabande in the sixth suite, also.

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:16 pm

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Deleted dp » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:33 pm

Last edited by Deleted dp on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted dp

Postby bloke » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:

Bloke didn't get invited.

dang it. :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSW0VnJ7juQ
bloke

Postby dctrtuba17 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:08 am

yeah I meant to say 5th suite. Hopefully this will be a good experience.
dctrtuba17
lurker
lurker

Postby happyroman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:59 pm

dctrtuba17 wrote:yeah I meant to say 5th suite. Hopefully this will be a good experience.

I believe that was likely just an off hand remark, but I also think it reveals a mindset that is self limiting.

Don't go for an "experience" or that is all you will get out of it. Go to win.

If you are going for the experience, my question is "Experience for what?" The next audition? There may not be another one for years.

Tuba auditions for a full time orchestra are a rare thing, and have been for quite a while. Although they were never plentiful, when I was studying in the 1970s and 1980s, there was at least one audition per year, and often more, for jobs that would support someone very nicely. When I was a student, the tuba chair in almost every major orchestra opened up, and since many of those positions were filled by someone who had a good job, there was a trickle down effect that resulted in multiple auditions per year for a while. Because orchestras only have one tuba, and they all (except Cincinnati) currently have one, this may be an opportunity that won't come along again for years.

I heard Warren Deck discuss auditions a couple of times, and one thing he said struck me. He said that you have to realize that every piece on the list will get nailed by someone at the audition, so that's how well you have to play all of the pieces. I believe in order to do that, one must have the mindset that you are going to the audition to win it in order to be prepared at that high level. If you are just seeking the experience, you can talk yourself into settling for "good enough" when preparing the list.

I hope you do well.
Andy
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:10 pm

If this has become an advice column, could I attempt to expand on the previous (excellent) post?

- Audition for a job that you have a >>REALISTIC<< chance of being offered. This requires being a >>REALIST<<.
- If you realistically cannot win, do not audition. Auditions are not "drawings". Committees are not required to choose anyone, and often they choose no one. Applicants identities at many auditions (simply due to coming-and-going - combined with the phenomenon of facebook familiarity) tend to be discovered. Don't be "that guy" whose identity is discovered and thus whose playing is remembered in a humorous or pitiful way.
- If you cannot play your very best in front of critics, do not audition until you fix this problem.
- Don't try to educate the committee. Play the tunes like the record. "Over the top" is usually not like the record.
- JOBS are NOT college/conservatory auditions, NOT solo competitions, and NOR are they the all-state band. Jobs LAST. Jobs (ALL jobs) get "old", and colleagues tend to become tedious. You must love playing whole notes and counting rests ENOUGH to put up with the tedium of a JOB. If you've never really had a JOB, you cannot possibly know in advance whether you love playing whole notes and counting rests THAT much, so be prepared (if you "win" a job) to POSSIBLY become restless, and to POSSIBLY end up walking away - looking for "something else".
- If you are unknown, without credentials, without considerable professional experience, and make it to the last round, your "great" playing will probably defer to a known player's "great" playing.
- There aren't that many "great" tuba players who audition for jobs. When 75 people show up, "great" choices are typically slim, and occasionally slim-to-none. This doesn't mean that "beating all of those guys should be a cinch". This means that you probably suck just as bad as most of the other 75.
- If you are fat, desire an orchestra job, and are one of the very few qualified to be chosen for one of these jobs, stop being fat. No employer in any industry will admit this, but fat people are not going to be their first choices. Symphony Orchestras (regardless of how LITTLE most stage musicians are aware of this) is a VISUAL art. Otherwise, no one would attend concerts, and everyone would listen to recordings. If possible, symphony orchestra music directors prefer (yes "the most highly qualified", but also) attractive people sitting on stage, and music directors - most often - are afforded 51% of the vote in a committee.
- It is said (by the TubeNet Freak Jury) that "great players" can play anything and sound "great" - even a crappy tuba...but "great" players typically do not play crappy tubas. Great players typically play great tubas. They play great tubas for a reason. Competing for employment with a crappy tuba makes it far more difficult to be singled out as "the very best". Most tubas are crappy.

no need to worry about bloke, btw.
I have great tubas, but I'm a crappy player.
Were I not a crappy player, I just cannot imagining relocating from blokeplace to a high-density area with a majority high-density mindset just for a "job".
Were I not a crappy player and didn't mind high-density lifestyles and mindsets and didn't love blokeplace, I am old...and fat.
If you found my hidden post, I meant it.
<Insert William Tecumseh Sherman quote here.>
bloke

Postby UncleBeer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:05 am

Fantastic input in the last two replies! Read and re-read. And maybe even bookmark!
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:19 pm

bloke wrote:If this has become an advice column, could I attempt to expand on the previous (excellent) post?

One more: If you look at the repertoire list and (with the exception of the Bach) don't already know all the works, it's too late to learn them.
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Mark wrote:
bloke wrote:If this has become an advice column, could I attempt to expand on the previous (excellent) post?

One more: If you look at the repertoire list and (with the exception of the Bach) don't already know all the works, it's too late to learn them.

I dunno...
Some of them aren't "hard", other than they need to be played very, very well. I'm not going to try to tell some extraordinarily talented musician that (just because they haven't - in the past - looked at every single piece on a list of excerpts) they cannot master them (as well as learn the music with which they fit) in a month or two. After all, orchestral musicians are handed music they've never seen before quite often, and asked to play it...usually with only a few weeks preparation time before the first rehearsals.
bloke

Postby BATsforlyfethorbaer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:10 pm

Everyone knows that the only person that will win this audition will be playing on an extremely shiny 7/4 YamaBaer, that has been cryogenically frozen for a period of 25 years. The winner will have looked at the excerpts on the plane to Cincinnati, and will play the Bach Sarabande two octaves down.

Additionally, a titanium mouthpiece and MAW valves are a must.

These are the only ways to be successful in an audition situation.
MW 6450/2 6/4 CC (BEAR!)
MW 2165 6/4 CC (With custom tone ring in bell)
MW 5450 5/4 CC (THOR!) First round smaller horn
^^NEVER SHALL THE GOD OF THUNDER RELENT
MW 6460 6/4 F (KODIAK)

Culbertson Romera
PT-88+
Loud Mouthpiece LM-12
R&S Heavy Helleberg
BATsforlyfethorbaer
lurker
lurker

Postby anonymous4 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Bloke, you are crushing dreams and breaking hearts as usual. Don't you know that half the people reading this think that all they have to do to land a full time job for the rest of their life is play a few minutes of excerpts really well, and that nothing else matters!? What a meanie....
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Postby dctrtuba17 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Thanks; I of course expect to win and am excited about the opportunity. By experience, I guess I meant getting to travel to Cincinnati and visit the Symphony Hall there. I've never been there. Thanks for the advice by the way. I figure if you take a humble approach to playing, you get a lot further.
dctrtuba17
lurker
lurker

Postby happyroman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:06 am

dctrtuba17 wrote:Thanks; I of course expect to win and am excited about the opportunity. By experience, I guess I meant getting to travel to Cincinnati and visit the Symphony Hall there. I've never been there. Thanks for the advice by the way. I figure if you take a humble approach to playing, you get a lot further.

Good luck to you. Your post reminded me of the St. Louis audition (when Gene Pokorny won the job). I was in the warm up room, and noticed a tuba case under a table off to one side. While warming up, Gene came in to retrieve the case. He had been visiting the Arch, saying that he was going to get "something" out of the trip, in case he didn't advance. He not only advanced to the next round, he had a good time sight seeing (after he took care of business, of course).
Andy
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

PreviousNext

Return to OPPORTUNITIES - education - employment