BGSU Open Tuba Graduate Assistantship/DMA/Undergraduate

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
David Saltzman
pro musician
pro musician

BGSU Open Tuba Graduate Assistantship/DMA/Undergraduate

Post by David Saltzman »

Hello - The Graduate Assistantship for Tuba (tuition waiver + stipend) will be open again starting in the Fall of 2017 here at Bowling Green State University. Major responsibilities are playing in the graduate brass quintet, some applied teaching and other duties if needed (ensemble rehearsing, etc.). I can be reached at dsaltzm@bgsu.edu" target="_blank if you have any questions.

If you will be eligible for a Master’s Degree in Tuba Performance I encourage you to apply. The assistantship details are all listed below, but if you have any questions, or if your students do, please encourage them to contact me directly at:
dsaltzm@bgsu.edu" target="_blank. They can also go to our website (http://www.bgsu.edu/musical-arts/prospe ... sters.html" target="_blank) and/or learn more here: http://www.bgsu.edu/musical-arts/prospe ... /musp.html" target="_blank

Tuba/Euphonium Studio and Graduate Brass Quintet (Available Fall 2017)

The student selected for this position assists in applied and small ensemble instruction, and performs with the Graduate Brass Quintet. The GBQ performs each semester in University commencement exercises and presents concerts on and off campus as assigned. Other duties may be assigned as needed. Prerequisites include superior tuba performance ability and successful teaching in studio and/or school settings, including ability to teach euphonium at the undergraduate level. This is a 1/4 position, requiring 10 - 12 hours of work per week.

We also have fully funded (tuition waiver + stipend) positions open for anyone interested in pursuing a DMA in Contemporary Music as well here at BGSU. This position is open to either instrument. Interested parties can contact me again, or go to this link: http://www.bgsu.edu/musical-arts/prospe ... s/dma.html" target="_blank

Ample opportunities for scholarship also exist at the Undergraduate Level for both academic achievement and merit (audition) awards. Please go here for more information about applying for undergraduate degrees here at BGSU: http://www.bgsu.edu/musical-arts/prospe ... duate.html" target="_blank

All my best!

Most Sincerely,

David J. Saltzman

Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium
Bowling Green State University
Principal Tuba Toledo Symphony
Principal Tuba Glimmerglass Opera Festival
Studio: (419) 372-2097
Cell: (808) 341-6392
dsaltzm@bgsu.edu" target="_blank
Dave2ba@aol.com" target="_blank
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Re: BGSU Open Tuba Graduate Assistantship/DMA/Undergraduate

Post by AHynds »

Bump for a great place to study the tuba! The Graduate Assistantship in the Brass Quintet is a fantastic opportunity to perform with some amazing colleagues and get consistent coaching with the brass faculty here at BGSU. You'll also get the opportunity to study with a great teacher in Prof. Dave Saltzman! And to top it all off, Bowling Green is a cheap place to live that happens to be within a few hours drive of several major cities (within 4.5 hours, you've got Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Chicago, and Pittsburgh).

For the DMA, do know that the major itself is in Contemporary Music, defined by the program as music post-1945. As a Contemporary Music major, your emphasis will be in Tuba Performance, so expect an equal focus on both the tuba side of things and the contemporary music aspect. While pretty much the entire tuba repertoire does fall into that category, it is good to know that our program focuses more on the truly contemporary and experimental/avant-garde end of the spectrum--composers like Eric Ewazen and Elizabeth Raum may be contemporary, but they're not contemporary in the way that we specialize in! You can ask me (Aaron Hynds) for any questions about the program--I'm in my fourth year here.

And finally, this is a great place for undergraduates to study, for all of the reasons listed above. Beyond that, there are truly a large amount of performance and study opportunities available for undergrads--unlike some of the monolithic programs out there, undergraduates are still afforded all of the same performance spots as graduate students. It's all about the work you put in!

Long story short--come study at BGSU!

Aaron Hynds
Aaron Hynds, DMA
Lecturer, Music Business & New Media - University of Kentucky
I like to make and record sounds with metal pipes and computers.