Dallas Brass?

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Tubaguyjoe
bugler
bugler

Dallas Brass?

Post by Tubaguyjoe »

A buddy of mine is friends with one of the Dallas Brass members and he told me that the tuba spot will be opening up soon, can anyone here confirm?
Stuttgart Hochschule fuer Musik
Tubist-Junge Deutsche Philharmonie
Aushilfe-Stuttgart Opera
McLain Pray
lurker
lurker

Post by McLain Pray »

Since Deanna Swoboda won the Western Michigan University job, I assume she'll be leaving the Dallas Brass.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

McLain Pray wrote:Since Deanna Swoboda won the Western Michigan University job, I assume she'll be leaving the Dallas Brass.
It may depend on whether she takes over for Bob Whaley in WMU's Faculty Brass Quintet (Bob retired in 2001-- after 36 years -- but stepped back in a year ago after Andy Miller left). Either way, she's going to be busy! :)
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
jdsalas
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jdsalas »

The application iformation is available on the employment page on www.iteaonline.org. Good Luck to everyone, it sounds like a great gig.

J.
Charlie Goodman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Charlie Goodman »

Kevin Hendrick wrote:
McLain Pray wrote:Since Deanna Swoboda won the Western Michigan University job, I assume she'll be leaving the Dallas Brass.
It may depend on whether she takes over for Bob Whaley in WMU's Faculty Brass Quintet (Bob retired in 2001-- after 36 years -- but stepped back in a year ago after Andy Miller left). Either way, she's going to be busy! :)
Mr. Whaley's playing with the quintet this year since Miller hopped ship. They're about to go on tour to Europe.

...so 37, and he still sounds great. He played some of the John Williams concerto in my last lesson... holy crap.

On a related note, has anyone studied with Ms. Swoboda much? I'm going to a music camp at Western this summer where she'll be the tuba instructor.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

Hey,
Packets had to be postmarked by June 1st. So I'm guessing they'll wait a week or 2 for all the packets to get there and then they'll contact whoever (hmmm... whomever?) they choose to do a live audition and the audition itself would most likely be about a month or so after that.
I have no inside info, but that's how other groups in the past have done it. :wink:
Bill Pritchard
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Aaron Tindall
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Aaron Tindall »

No, not yet.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

anyone?
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
danB
bugler
bugler

Post by danB »

nothing will be decided for at least another three weeks.

d
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

tuba4sissies wrote:
I need to watch this Dallas Brass sometimes since I'm in the Dallas area. Do they have a website? :?:
This group isn't really based in Dallas, as one might believe from the name, in the same sense that the Dallas Symphony is. The group started in Dallas and the group's leader lives in the Dallas area, but these days the group is comprised of members from all over the country. For example, Deanna Swoboda, current tubist, lives in Arizona (I believe) and travels in accordance with the demands of the group, which are extensive. The group spends most of its time NOT in Dallas, and they don't regularly play shows in the area, so depite being the "Dallas Brass," they're a difficult act to catch in the Dallas area.

See http://www.dallasbrass.com
jdsalas
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jdsalas »

They have invited around a dozen people to audition the first week of August so there should be some results soon.

J.D.
dwaskew
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwaskew »

It was offered to one person who decided not to take the job. The first two tours of the fall, as far as I understand it, will be done by a former player (John Wasson). In the mean time, a decision as to who will get the next shot is still being decided.
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Satterwhite »

Nat McIntosh of Sotto Voce will be joining Dallas Brass next week. He's a great guy and incredible player. I heard the group rehearse with him the other day, and he'll be a great fit.
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

Dan Satterwhite wrote:Nat McIntosh of Sotto Voce will be joining Dallas Brass next week... he'll be a great fit.
I agree--what a great choice. Good for Nat, good for the Dallas Brass.