All Quiet on the Audition Front Bookmark and Share

Announcements for jobs, competitions, and the results

All Quiet on the Audition Front

Postby dante jones » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Rumors of auditions and positions abound, but so far it's been a quiet summer in the world of professional tuba, a world whose inhabitants could make up possibly the world's smallest and most haphazard nation state.

So let's air some thoughts out.

What are you, the professional tubist, doing in this recent dry season to keep the chops up? brass band and practicing in my school band building - i'm a teacher not a kid or a weirdo

What rumors are you hearing? that we all live inside a dream

What foods are you avoiding? beets and olives for me
Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. - Rumi
28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. - Jesus of Nazareth
dante jones
lurker
lurker

Re: All Quiet on the Audition Front

Postby THE TUBA » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:42 pm

dante jones wrote:that we all live inside a dream

...but who is the dreamer?
[/post]
THE TUBA
4 valves
4 valves

Postby the elephant » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Don't gripe. When I was on the audition circuit there were three over an eight year stretch; quite the drought. When Mr. Jacobs retired a long, slow domino effect occurred that is finally slowing down after about two decades of openings (plus the natural fact of attrition).
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Several years ago, I was asked to play with a per-service orchestra.
I shrugged my shoulders, looked at my schedule, and basically said, "uhh...OK". :|
A year later, I was told that there was to be an "audition" (wha...??) and that I would be expected to audition. :roll:
By then, I'd made several friends and associations in that per-service orchestra. I had two choices:
"Option 1" - Tell them to ><><-off (insulting my new friends/colleagues), or
"Option 2" - Agree to go through with it - leaving myself no option for failure (which - to say the least - would have been embarrassing).
...Mrs. bloke said she didn't care (mo' money, surely, had I just stayed home and repaired horns), thus it was up to me... ...I was already doing some business (instrument sales / repairs / etc.) with some of my new friends, so I decided for "Option 2".
Frankly, I was shocked at how many people (with actual resumes, etc.) and from how far away (like 600 miles) came to audition...nearly a dozen. (Yeah...not very many...but not much of a gig, either.)
...so I prepared for it, went through with it (really inconvenient day) and dashed out the door - immediately after auditioning (and, of course, crap was running late, just as with all auditions) - to a gig that began in an hour - sixty miles away. On the way out the door, I heard someone (probably the most formidable competition: terminal performance degree...prestigious school & teacher...etc...) playing the sight-reading thing. I heard a big fat B♭ right at the beginning of a line (no key signature) where - on the previous line - there had been a bunch of B♭'s, and yet the written pitch at the beginning of the next line was B (with no courtesy ♮ sign). ...so I sped to my gig figuring that I had kept the job. Since that time, the orchestra has greatly improved (yeah, definitely quite a few new faces :oops: ) and the pay has doubled...so I guess it was worth going through with the audition.

THE POINT HERE:
bloke "Most of the time, people at auditions are competing more with THEMSELVES than with the other applicants, and - occasionally - a resume that doesn't have much more on it than 'I play the tuba' is enough." :|
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Tuboxchef » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:06 pm

I heard there's going to be an opening in New York Philharmonic, Chicago Symphony, Los Angeles Phil, Cleveland Orchestra, Atlanta Symphony, Houston Symphony, Israel Philharmonic, Berlin Philharmonic, Toronto Symphony, London Symphony, SOON...in the next 50 years. :? :lol: :twisted: :D
Derek Fenstermacher

New Jersey Symphony Orchestra
Albany Symphony Orchestra

Montclair State University
Bard College
Eastern Music Festival

http://www.dftuba.com
Tuboxchef
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:18 pm

I recon if I just goof off at my square job all day I got just about as good a chance as anyone who actually tries!!

:tuba:
Who needs four valves??
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Watchman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:40 pm

bloke wrote:I heard a big fat B♭...

Whoever that was probably spent weeks diligently practicing those excepts, only to be undone by that tricky B, with no courtesy accidental, that they had no idea was coming. If they are going to use something arbitrary like that to pick the winner, they should do it like the old school military band auditions and just go all sight-reading for every round.

No disrespect intended Bloke. I'm not hating the player, but the game. Auditions suck.
Watchman
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Watchman wrote:
bloke wrote:I heard a big fat B♭...

Whoever that was probably spent weeks diligently practicing those excepts, only to be undone by that tricky B, with no courtesy accidental, that they had no idea was coming. If they are going to use something arbitrary like that to pick the winner, they should do it like the old school military band auditions and just go all sight-reading for every round.

No disrespect intended Bloke. I'm not hating the player, but the game. Auditions suck.

The excerpt was from a major work. Even I (a lowly-_ _ _ per-service orchestra and freelance type of guy) have played it two or three times before.
No, it's not out of copyright, so not on IMSLP, but can be viewed on the NYPO website.
Someone showing up to play should know the tunes (there are only a few hundred, seriously) and be able to hum them...at least, it seems to me.
There are other strategies as well.
I'm pretty sure I heard that same player warming up on something other than VW (as the solo piece was the player's choice). Everyone else (that I heard warming up) chose the VW. I completely expected that anyone who showed up would choose VW, so I chose it as well...and made certain (via preparation) that my rendition would be set me apart from everyone else.

Am I God's gift to the tuba?
No. I am certainly not.

Does everyone who shows up to every audition know ahead of time whether-or-not they will be offered the job?
Yes. I believe they do.
bloke

Postby dante jones » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:14 pm

THE TUBA wrote:
dante jones wrote:that we all live inside a dream

...but who is the dreamer?

Monica Bellucci of course! I bet neither she nor anyone in her family knows any tuba players
Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. - Rumi
28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. - Jesus of Nazareth
dante jones
lurker
lurker

Return to Auditions