pro musician
pro musician

KCSO open mock audition June 2, Knoxville Tennessee

Post by tubalex »

Hi tubenet,

Please refer to this facebook event for more info and to RSVP:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1541761795932745/" target="_blank

Stealing a great idea from Aubrey Foard's event in LA:

I'm going to host a Kansas City Symphony Orchestra tuba mock audition at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, on Saturday, June 2, open to anyone taking this audition, or anyone who's not taking the audition but is ready to play the full KCSO list. Please only sign up for this if you are feeling prepared for the entire KCSO list.

Listening (silently) in the audience is open to anyone, which is an excellent way to start thinking about auditions from the committee's perspective.

This will be in Cox auditorium in the Alumni Memorial Building. If you went to ITEC 2016, this was the venue for the big evening concerts; 1000-seat concert hall.

Three rounds; the first two are screened, the finals are not screened. Everyone plays every round and you are encouraged to record your own playing. There will be multiple warm-up rooms available.

RSVPs will be required plus a $10 fee in the hopes of bribing some non-tuba-playing professional musicians to judge and give comments. You can RSVP at the facebook event page or by emailing me at alapins at utk dot edu
Alexander Lapins, DM
Eastman Musical Instruments Artist
University of Tennessee Faculty
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp Faculty
Quintasonic Brass
http://www.music.utk.edu/faculty/lapins.php
dante jones
lurker
lurker

Re: KCSO open mock audition June 2, Knoxville Tennessee

Post by dante jones »

Persons who live and freely travel the universe centuries from now will trace the practice of "folding space" and "teleportation" not back to some oppressive Spacing Guild, but more likely to a 21st century tuba player that lives far enough from important destinations that driving to them is extremely inconvenient, and yet somehow better than the alternative of flying.

I wish i could be there :(
Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. - Rumi
28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. - Jesus of Nazareth
tubalex
pro musician
pro musician

Re: KCSO open mock audition June 2, Knoxville Tennessee

Post by tubalex »

We're a week out. Back when I was on the circuit I always played the lists better a few days after taking an audition, having worked through the oddity of getting there, hearing others play, warming up and performing in an unfamiliar space. I hope this can help some folks make their trips to KC more worth-while.

Currently looking at a 12 noon start time.

Please try to give me at least a couple days' notice so I can schedule accordingly; the earlier the better.

alapins at utk dot edu
Alexander Lapins, DM
Eastman Musical Instruments Artist
University of Tennessee Faculty
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp Faculty
Quintasonic Brass
http://www.music.utk.edu/faculty/lapins.php