Carnegie Mellon University openings

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Craig Knox
pro musician
pro musician

Carnegie Mellon University openings

Post by Craig Knox »

I have 3 students graduating on May, and am seeking undergraduate and graduate students to fill as many as 4 positions in my studio at Carnegie Mellon University for the Fall of 2019. Auditions are scheduled for February 16. More information about the application and audition process is available at http://music.cmu.edu/

The School of Music at Carnegie Mellon University is an all Performance program; it is essentially a conservatory curriculum within a university setting. Students in the tuba studio pursue either a BA or MM in Performance. In addition, there are two additional non-degree programs for graduate students: the Artist Diploma program and the Advanced Music Studies Certificate. Certificate students are chosen in the regular studio audition process; Artist Diploma students are chosen in a highly selective process by a large faculty panel. There is no DMA offered at Carnegie Mellon. The size of the tuba studio at CMU is typically held at 4-6 students. Substantial financial aid, merit scholarships, and assistantships are available, up to the full tuition cost.

Carnegie Mellon University is routinely ranked as one of the country’s elite academic institutions, with a total student body of about 10,000 students. The campus is located adjacent to the 300-acre Schenley Park, in the Oakland district of Pittsburgh which is also home to the University of Pittsburgh and many of Pittsburgh’s museums.

There is a strong relationship between the CMU School of Music and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, whose musicians comprise a large portion of the applied faculty. Tuba students receive weekly lessons and attend my studio class; in addition, they have access to the other brass faculty in Brass Class (with George Vosburgh), Brass Ensemble (with Peter Sullivan), Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble (with Lance LaDuke), and Brass Chamber Music (with the brass faculty). Frequent guest teachers visit CMU to present master classes or teach full days of lessons to the tuba studio. Guests over the last 15 months have included James Gourlay, Yasuhito Sugiyama, Carson McTeer, Chris Olka, Dennis Nulty, and David Fedderly.

Please check the CMU website for more information about the school and the audition process. If you still have further specific questions, you may contact me at cknox@pittsburghsymphony.org" target="_blank" target="_blank
Craig Knox
Principal Tuba, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
Center City Brass Quintet
Artist Lecturer, Carnegie Mellon University
Faculty, Curtis Institute of Music