NYC Area Wagner Tubists Sought for Dec 2020 Performances

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
BrassoProfundo
bugler
bugler

NYC Area Wagner Tubists Sought for Dec 2020 Performances

Post by BrassoProfundo »

NYC AREA WAGNER TUBISTS SOUGHT FOR DECEMBER 2020 PERFORMANCE. NYC’s QUO orchestra is contemplating playing a major work of the classic Wagner Tuba repertoire at our 12/18 & 12/19 performances.

As QUO’s contrabass tuba player, I’m putting out the word to see who may be interested and available.

QUO is an accomplished nonprofit, community orchestra with a semi-professional membership, open to all. We typically rehearse and perform in NYC’s Chelsea neighborhood.

We seek several talented, capable Wagner Tubists to join us to perform one of the most prominent works from the core Wagner Tuba repertoire -- the kind of work Wagner Tubists dream of playing. If you’re potentially interested, capable, and available, please contact me. Please share this information with those you think may be candidates -- asap, please: if we can find enough potential players by Tuesday 5/5 evening’s board meeting, we’ll schedule the piece.
Think song and wind, not meat and muscle. -Arnold Jacobs
Tuba, mirum spargens sonum, per sepulchra regionum, coget omnes ante thronum.
With tubas and the call of the rams horn shout with joy. בחצצרות וקול שופר הריעו
BrassoProfundo
bugler
bugler

Re: NYC Area Wagner Tubists Sought for Dec 2020 Performances

Post by BrassoProfundo »

Thanks for the guidance. Bruckner 7th Symphony
With tubas and the call of the rams horn shout with joy. בחצצרות וקול שופר הריעו
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Hope you can pull it off!

Even professionals have a hard time with the Wagner tubas, they can be a real pain in the ***! Glad to see QUO is still going strong. My first ever orchestra gig was to sub with the QUO.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

BrassoProfundo wrote:Thanks for the guidance. Bruckner 7th Symphony
What Wade said. When we did Bruckner 7 a few years ago, all our four Wagner tubists were hornists. Good luck to you and your group.

Ace
BrassoProfundo
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassoProfundo »

Thanks!!
bort wrote:Hope you can pull it off!
Even professionals have a hard time with the Wagner tubas, they can be a real pain in the ***! Glad to see QUO is still going strong. My first ever orchestra gig was to sub with the QUO.
Cheddar
lurker
lurker

Post by Cheddar »

Hi there,

It might be a little early to do this now, but depending on how things are down the road, I would contact some of the horn professors, or even the entrepreneurial offices, at Juilliard, Mannes, the Manhattan School of Music, and NYU. I'm sure that there are plenty of talented horn students at these schools who frequent the freelance scene, and many talented players that would love to enter the freelance scene and continue developing their knowledge on standard repertoire.

Best of luck!