Longy School of Music-Scholarships Available

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Longy School of Music-Scholarships Available

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Very excited to announce that I will be joining the brass faculty of the Longy School of Music of Bard College in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Longy is now offering competitive scholarship opportunities for qualified graduate and undergraduate tuba students.

Our performance program "promotes profound musical understanding and technical mastery, encourages growth of imagination, and fosters inquiry about the role of music and the musician in society. Longy’s mission is to prepare musicians to make a difference in the world.”

Interested students should please see the links below contact or me directly at sashajohnson@gmail.com" target="_blank for more information on auditions and funding.

Thanks very much,

Sasha Johnson

Principal Tuba, National Ballet of Canada Orchestra
Tuba Faculty Schulich School of Music, McGill University
Tuba Faculty Glenn Gould School of Music
Tuba Faculty, Longy School of Music of Bard College

https://longy.edu/about/faculty/" target="_blank
https://longy.edu/admissions/" target="_blank
Jmcc55
bugler
bugler

Re: Longy School of Music-Scholarships Available

Post by Jmcc55 »

Thus is a wonderful opportunity to study with an amazing player and pedagogue. Sasha is the real deal.
Jarrett McCourt (he/him)
Assistant Professor of Tuba and Euphonium | University of Missouri - Kansas City
Principal Tuba | Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba | Santa Fe Opera
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Thanks so much Jarrett for those kind words. Thanks also to those of you who have inquired.

For those of you interested, over the coming weeks I’ll be offering free introductory lessons through Zoom. This is in part for possible recruitment purposes, but also an acknowledgment that most of us now have a great deal of free time, particularly in front our our computers.

As teaching remotely is becoming our new reality, it's very helpful and informative for me to continue to hone this process.

Anyone interested in scheduling lessons can reach me through this site or at sashajohnson@gmail.com" target="_blank

There will be no fee associated with these lessons, and they are open to any high school or college level players, nationally or internationally. (Les cours peuvent aussi être en français. Der Unterricht kann auch auf Deutsch sein.)

Thanks,
Sasha Johnson

Principal Tuba, National Ballet of Canada Orchestra
Tuba Faculty Schulich School of Music, McGill University
Tuba Faculty Glenn Gould School of Music
Tuba Faculty, Longy School of Music of Bard College
rkirkconnell
lurker
lurker

Post by rkirkconnell »

I want to agree with the above post - I took Mr. Johnson up on the Zoom lesson offer, and it was an *extremely* beneficial hour for me. Even over Zoom, I got the instruction I most needed. I'd encourage others to take him up on it (personally, I think the hour of personal instruction helped at least as much as an impersonal week-long clinic), and Longy is looking good as a place to study.
B&S 56AFT
MW 5450RA "Tuono"
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Just a reminder to anyone considering auditions for graduate or undergraduate study that there is considerable funding at the moment at the Longy School, and that there are some very interesting programs available.

An important aspect of Longy is the flexibility of the curriculum compared to more traditional music schools. The idea is that the institution should adapt around the needs of the student and their professional goals, rather than the student to the institution. This is reflected in the size of classes, and in the flexibility of the program around the path of a student’s career.

Please contact me if you have any questions about Longy, or to set up a trial Zoom lesson.

Best,
Sasha
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Just another quick note to let everyone out there know that the audition deadline has been extended for the Longy School, and we are still accepting applications for graduate and undergraduate candidates for the fall of 2021.

Of particular interest may be the one-year Master of Music in Education degree. As this is a relatively new degree program at Longy, there is considerable funding available (https://longy.edu/study/master-of-music ... education/).

Lastly, thanks so much to those candidates who have already applied and audition for next year. The level has been incredibly high, and it's looking like we will have a very strong studio there next fall.

Anyone interested in the program, or who has any questions or would like an introductory Zoom lesson with me should please be in touch via email, or through this site.

Thanks,
Sasha Johnson
Tuba Faculty
Longy School of Music of Bard College
https://longy.edu/team/sasha-johnson/
www.canadiannationalbrassproject.com
www.truenorthbrass.com
William Perez
lurker
lurker

Post by William Perez »

Thank you for such a valuable information. I agree that an important aspect of Longy is the flexibility of the curriculum compared to more traditional music schools. This is really very important and progressive. It is also important when teaching children to use quality websites and platforms that will allow them to perform some important learning activities. For example, here https://edubirdie.com/words-to-minutes-converter you can find a converter with which a student can accurately and quickly find out the number of characters in his study or essay.