UM Tuba Euph Webinar- Open to all HS students

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
David Zerkel
pro musician
pro musician

UM Tuba Euph Webinar- Open to all HS students

Post by David Zerkel »

The University of Michigan School of Music, Theater, and Dance has traditionally offered a Tuba Euphonium Ensemble offering for local high school students through Michigan Youth Ensembles (MYE). Unfortunately, that program will not take place this fall, due to the COVID crisis.

However, I will be hosting an online webinar program through the MYE program. There will be twenty sessions (10 in fall, 10 in spring). Because of the online nature of the program, it is open to any high school student, anywhere in the country. I will host 13 of the sessions and the SMTD and MYE staff will cover 7. My topics will include:

What’s important?: Ideas on effective practice strategies
Which materials will help to advance my playing?
What should I be listening to?
Sound Production
Building range- Upward and Downward
Building technique from slow to fast
Building dynamic range
Articulating articulation
What makes a performance “musical”, and why Is that so important?
Steps to comprehensive musicianship
Audition strategies- from district band to college admissions to the “President’s Own”
Basic math- Mastering rhythmic playing

The cost of the program is inexpensive at $175 for 20 sessions, plus a $50 application fee. I don't make a penny, all proceeds go toward the continuation of MYE programs.

If you are, or know of, a high school student who is interested in an online course that would supplement their musical education, please let them know about this opportunity.
Thanks!
DZ

https://smtd.umich.edu/programs-degrees ... -ensemble/
David Zerkel
Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Michigan
dzerkel@umich.edu" target="_blank