Graduate and Undergraduate Openings at FSU

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
justben
pro musician
pro musician

Graduate and Undergraduate Openings at FSU

Post by justben »

Hi everyone,

I will have two graduate assistantship openings at Florida State University for the Fall of 2021. If you are considering graduate school (MM or DM), I hope you will consider FSU as a potential program for your studies.

Each assistantship carries a tuition waiver as well as a significant stipend. Responsibilities include applied instruction of three to six music majors, conducting the tuba & euphonium ensemble, and leading a weekly fundamentals class.

This year all auditions will be through video recorded submission. Prospective students will not be required to travel to Tallahassee in light of the COVID pandemic. For graduate applicants, I do have a prescreen requirement with a deadline of Dec 1.

For prospective undergraduates, we offer substantial scholarships and all accepted students are considered for an out of state tuition waiver. This means that if you are a prospective undergrad student from outside of Florida, you may be eligible for the FL in-state tuition rate of $6500 PER YEAR (15 credit hours each semester). Compared to the rising tuition cost at most universities, this is an incredible value, and I will have several openings for undergraduates next fall.

Our tuba & euphonium studio is friendly and supportive with a healthy dose of competitive spirit. Florida State University is a top 20 public university in the US, and our music program is one of the most comprehensive programs in the country. I typically have 26 to 30 students in the studio, and you can find more information about us at the link below.

Please contact me at jbenavidez@fsu.edu" target="_blank if you have additional questions about applying to FSU.
http://www.fsutubaeuph.com" target="_blank
Dr. Justin Benavidez
Assistant Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
Florida State University
justben
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Graduate and Undergraduate Openings at FSU

Post by justben »

Graduate Prescreen Repertoire (Video recording preferred, due December 1):

Euphonium
Rochut: Melodious Etude #52
Grainger: Molly on the Shore, measures 71-99
Sousa: Stars and Stripes Forever, entire piece with no repeats
Schuman: New England Triptych - When Jesus Wept, measures 4-28

Tuba
Snedecor: Low Register Etude #4
Wagner: Overture to Die Meistersinger, Rehearsal J to Rehearsal L
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5, First Movement, Rehearsal 3 to Rehearsal 6
Berlioz: Hungarian March, Rehearsal 4 to four measures after Rehearsal 5

Following faculty review, a limited number of applicants will be invited to submit the full audition repertoire. This information can be found at: https://music.fsu.edu/admissions/audition-requirements" target="_blank
Dr. Justin Benavidez
Assistant Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
Florida State University