CSO Mahler 1/Solti

in that recording
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

CSO Mahler 1/Solti

Post by anonymous4 »

This is the one that comes with the box set. It dates from the early 1980's. I assumed it was Arnold Jacobs, but this recording is not listed in the "Song and Wind" discography. The only Mahler 1's that the book says Jacobs played on are conducted by Giulini and Abbado.

Thanks!
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

Rex Martin played it!
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ThomasP »

Is that the only one in the Solti/Chicago/Mahler box set that Jacobs didn't play?
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

brianf wrote:Rex Martin played it!
Thanks!

So did Arnold Jacobs just take the day off? 8)
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

No one in any orchestra just takes a day off when they are recording, this isn't working at Taco Bell, it's the CSO, a major symphony orchestra. The only way you miss a recording session is when you are sick as a dog. Mr Jacobs has played concerts with a temperature above 102 degrees and, on other occasions, had to be carried on the stage only to sound brilliant. He took off only when in the hospital or under doctor's orders not to play. Then he would call in a sub, in this case, in the early 80's, it was Rex Martin.
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

brianf wrote:No one in any orchestra just takes a day off when they are recording, this isn't working at Taco Bell, it's the CSO, a major symphony orchestra. The only way you miss a recording session is when you are sick as a dog. Mr Jacobs has played concerts with a temperature above 102 degrees and, on other occasions, had to be carried on the stage only to sound brilliant. He took off only when in the hospital or under doctor's orders not to play. Then he would call in a sub, in this case, in the early 80's, it was Rex Martin.
I figured it was something like that. I was mostly kidding with my "Day off" comment. No disrespect intended!

Thanks for the info! :D