Disney's The Jungle Book

in that recording
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Disney's The Jungle Book

Post by Gongadin »

Who played tuba for the animated cartoon feature that starred the voice talent of Sebastian Cabot, Phil Harris, Louis Prima, et al?
Northern
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Northern »

I cannot tell you who played tuba on the soundtrack to that, but the voice of Bagheera (sp) in "Jungle Book 2" was done by tuba player, music arranger, music copyist, voice-over artist and contributer to Tubenet, Bob Joles. Bob has also done bit parts on "Everybody Loves Raymond" and has done many other voices including those of a couple of the dwarfs in "Snow White."
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

Yeah, Bob's a good guy, and talented too! We were both in the sousaphone section at Long Beach State back in the fall of 1977. I sat next to him at the Long Beach State Alumni Band get together last March. He even let me try his new silver 1291. Only I keep remembering him as a high school senior at Glendora High School, when he still had hair. :shock:
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Disney's The Jungle Book

Post by Steve Marcus »

tubahed wrote:Who played tuba for the animated cartoon feature that starred the voice talent of Sebastian Cabot, Phil Harris, Louis Prima, et al?
George Bruns?
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Dutch
bugler
bugler

Post by Dutch »

Definitively George Bruns
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Helicon Man, I see from your tag line that you like the FF5+2. My personal favorite. I'm glad someone else notices this greaty, and wacky, group. I try to sound like Bob Short(although he never played with them, he is the undisputed KING of the 2 beat), George Bruns, or Don Kinch every time I lay down time.

Chuck"still trying to channel Bob Short's miraculous sound"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
neil
pro musician
pro musician

Post by neil »

Last edited by neil on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

The Jungle Book came out in 1966. Bob Joles was at CSULB in the late 1970s. I would guess most studio tuba music in LA during the late 1960s was done by Tommy Johnson.

Mr. Johnson was the first tuba player who was not under an exclusive contract in Los Angeles. Until the late 1950s, each major studio had its own orchestra and the musicians earned a regular salary, getting paid for a 30 hour week. (Musicians are not generally paid by the hour, but rather by the job.) Overtime was very rare.

He was a student at USC when he began playing for the cartoons at Hanna-Barbera. For many years after this, he was a junior high school band director. His principal let him off whenever a good gig came along. (Yes, I know The Jungle Book was a Disney project.)

What a deal.