Victory at Sea

in that recording
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Victory at Sea

Post by Chuck(G) »

Via Carole Nowicke, Herb Wekselblatt has asked that the following be posted to this forum:

I was looking at the "Herb Jenkel and Victory At Sea" contributions on the Internet and would like to clear up some misinformation. The tuba player who played the NBC Television series, Victory at Sea, was Joe Novotny. He was the tuba player with the NBC Symphony Orchestra at the time. When RCA decided to put out a recording (just of the music) they scheduled two sessions. The tuba player for one of the sessions was Harvey Philips and the other session was performed by myself. The conductor was Robert Russell Bennett.

"Richard" had written that I told him I was the only player for the recording. (Sorry, Richard. I had just gotten off the phone with Joe Novotny and when he told me that he had not played the recording we thought that I may have played the whole recording.) At the time I thought there was only one session. I should have waited a while and thought about it a bit longer. It
was only after I realized that there were two recording sessions did I find out that Harvey Philips played one of the sessions. Sorry, I hope I didn't create "false" history. But, what I have now written above is correct.

Also, it was Herb Jenkel who played the first recording of Tubby The Tuba. It was a recording conducted by Leon Barzin.

-- Herb Wekselblatt
---------------------
P.S. by C(G): I think that this is the old TubeNet thread that Herb is referring to

http://www.chisham.com/tips/bbs/aug2003 ... 43417.html
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I seem to remember that Herbert Jenkel was a tuba player with the Los Angeles Philharmonic sometime before Roger Bobo. He had his picture on a Mirafone magazine ad that said he played with the L.A. Phil.

:o