Who Played Tuba For "Stars & Stripes"?

in that recording
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Who Played Tuba For "Stars & Stripes"?

Post by Gongadin »

Saw "Stars & Stripes" the bio-pic about Sousa on television, and when one of the actors blew into that Raincatcher, man, was that a glorious tone.
Who played the tuba parts on the soundtrack?
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

I don't know who played on the sound track but the actor is a VERY young 22 year old Robert Wagner playing the part of Willie Little, a fictional tuba player. Sousa was played by Clifton Webb. This film was made in 1952 by 20th Century Fox with Henry Koster directing.
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

This was done under the old studio system. It would take a bit of looking but most movies made in Hollywood (or any other part of Los Angeles, or Culver City, or Universal City) before 1958 were played by the tuba player under contract with the studio.

It was not a free-lance job. They had a "normal" 30 hour work week. George Boujie was the contract tuba player at MGM in Culver City.

To find out who played in "The Stars and Stripes Forever," you would find out who the contract player was at 20th Century-Fox in West Los Angeles at that time.
pro musician

Post by Norm Pearson »

Clarence Karella was the tuba player at fox.
Norm Pearson
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

The credits read that Alfred Newman, the 20th Century-Fox music supervisor, was the conductor for this movie. The musicians heard are contract musicians from Fox. So the tubist is Mr. Karella.

There might be recordings of the Detroit Concert Band used in the movie. This band had other great tubists than Bill Bell but I don't have my list in front of me right now. Maybe someone else could help here.
3 valves

Lip Synching?

Post by Hank74 »

So then, what you're saying is that Robert Wagner actually didn't play that Raincatcher sousa, but "lip synched" it while someone else played it. I've always wondered about this about actual actors playing instruments.

There was a film in 1982 with a young Matt Dillon playing the sousaphone. Would he have just pretended to play too? From seeing this, I thought that Dillon actually played since the notes weren't that difficult. Any one of us could have done it.

Hank74
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Lip Synching

Post by Gongadin »

Actors usually receive some sort of training from a musical coach so that it looks like they know what they're doing on screen. The actual music being produced is either recorded first and lip-synched to on set, using an on-set playback device (Nagra tape or DAT deck, usually, with timecode or pilot-tone) or the music is dubbed in later, as was probably the case for the few sousaphone notes Wagner blew.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

yo

Post by Biggs »

To hear/see some actors playing their own instruments, check out Russell Crowe's violin work in Master and Commander.

Also, I think it's pretty impressive that all the actors playing musicians in A Mighty Wind learned to play their isntruments for that film.