Philadelphia/Alpine Symphony with Dodson, Alessi, and Vernon

in that recording
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Philadelphia/Alpine Symphony with Dodson, Alessi, and Vernon

Post by sc_curtis »

Ok, I have heard a rumor.

Does anybody have this recording, and if so, what is the year printed on the back on the jewel case liner. I knew they were all there sometime in the early 80s, but I am unsure as to exactly when.

Also, I have found some recordings down here of other stuff from around that time with Philadelphia, and I would like to match up the dates to see if the trombone section is the same. People say that section was unreal, so I gotta know!

Thanks in advance!
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

Thought I would follow up with what I have found.

Ok, through some digging I found out that Alessi was there 1980-1984, Vernon was there 1981-1986, and Dodson retired in 1995*.

So, for all three, it looks like somewhere between 1981-1984. I believe the conductor for most of what they did during that time is Riccardo Muti.

I hear its hard to find, but I will try to get my hands on the Alpine Symphony.

*Edited form 1985 to 1995. (I went back and checked, and I just remember it wrong.)
Last edited by sc_curtis on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Good
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matt Good »

This recording was done in February 1983. Yes, the section was Glenn Dodson, Tyrone Breuninger, Joe Alessi and Charlie Vernon. Joe played the third trombone part on an old Holton bass tombone. Tim Soberik played the offstage part and joined the trombone section to play assisitant to Glenn after he was done backstage. I know all of this because I played 2nd tuba to Paul Kryzwicki on this recording, way back when I was 20.

Not my favorite recording of this piece but yes, the trombone section does sound amazing.

BTW, Glenn did not retire from the Philadelphia Orchestra until 1995.

-Matt
Last edited by Matt Good on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

Thanks Matt!

I appreciate the extra info, now I want to get this recording even more! I played in the Meyerson back in school, it was amazing!

I have fixed my error in my previous response.
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubapress »

I had wondered who sounded so darn good on the 2nd part! This was with Previn conducting, if I remember correctly. Used to have this on LP and have at times seen it as an import CD.

Matt...do you have an email address for Brandon MacMillian? He was a student of mine in Duncanville.

Thanks
Matt Good wrote:This recording was done in February 1983. Yes, the section was Glenn Dodson, Tyrone Breuninger, Joe Alessi and Charlie Vernon. Joe played the third trombone part on an old Holton bass tombone. Tim Soberik played the offstage part and joined the trombone section to play assisitant to Glenn after he was done backstage. I know all of this because I played 2nd tuba to Paul Kryzwicki on this recording, way back when I was 20.

Not my favorite recording of this piece but yes, the trombone section does sound amazing.

BTW, Glenn did not retire from the Philadelphia Orchestra until 1995.

-Matt
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank