Warren Deck Discography

in that recording
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Warren Deck Discography

Post by daktx2 »

One of my most treasured memories is the day my private lesson teacher first played this cd for me. Ever since then, Warren Deck has been one of my favorite orchestral tubists. Since we can't hear him live anymore, does anyone know of a list of all the recordings he is on? Or, alternatively, the years he was principal in the New York Phil? Thanks a bunch.
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

for 2.99 plus shipping, i'll give it a try....
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Listening to his entrance on The Ride will make you soil yourself. Massive power, total control over the instrument, enormous low register, etc etc.
IMHO this is the gold standard for this piece.
I only had one private lesson with him, but this was one of the main pieces we worked on.

P.S. If you can afford it get a new one and help support the musicians who made the recording.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

That recording was done on the Geib Conn, right? Also excellent from the same era is a an Ein Heldenleben recording. I've got an original pressing CD that is 45 minutes, one track.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

Matt Good
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matt Good »

jtuba wrote:That recording was done on the Geib Conn, right?
Yes.
Also excellent from the same era is a an Ein Heldenleben recording.
Yes, but with the orginal Conn "smaller bore" valve set. I attended that concert as a teenager back in 1981. Very impressive.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Matt Good wrote:Yes, but with the orginal Conn "smaller bore" valve set. I attended that concert as a teenager back in 1981. Very impressive.
:shock:
I knew The Ride was done on the Conn, but was it was pre-Frankenstein also??
If that was done "small bore" it should put to rest all this B.S. about bore size being everything.
Matt Good
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matt Good »

My memory tells me that Warren built the large-bore valve section for the Geib-Conn during the 1982-83 season and I am fairly certain that the "Ride of the Valkyries" with Mehta/Columbia was one of the first recordings done on this setup. All the recordings done with Leonard Bernstein on Deutche Grammaphone were played on the rebuilt Geib-Conn. This would include Copland 3 (1985) Mahler 7 (1985), Mahler 2 (1986) and Mahler 3 (1987).

Back in 1985, Bernstein did two weeks with the NY Philharmonic. The first week was Mahler 7 and the second week he programmed Roy Harris 3, William Schumann 3 and after intermission was Copland 3 (all on the same concert). Warren sounded amazing.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Matt Good wrote:My memory tells me that Warren built the large-bore valve section for the Geib-Conn during the 1982-83 season and I am fairly certain that the "Ride of the Valkyries" with Mehta/Columbia was one of the first recordings done on this setup.
I remember he told me that on the recording of the Ride, he'd used a leadpipe from an F tuba on the Conn, thus further muddying the "bore = resonance" question.