Here we go again...

in that recording
tubafatness
4 valves
4 valves

Here we go again...

Post by tubafatness »

I want to know who played tuba on the recording by the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra of "Turangalila-Symphonie" conducted by Simon Rattle, circa mid-80's. The thing is, though, last time I asked, I don't think I got an answer. So I'm asking again. Last time I asked, I even got people telling me that Simon Rattle couldn't be the director, even though the CD case in my hands told me otherwise. Damn mis-labelled CD's.
Thanks,
Aaron Hynds
AndyCat
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AndyCat »

Alan Sinclair? He joined around 1980 I think, and is still there.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure!
Andy Cattanach, UK
Fodens Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble.
Yamaha Neo BBb x 2 (2011 and 2016), B+H 3v Imperial BBb.
Yamaha YBL613H Bass Trombone.
Mercer and Barker MB5 Cattanach, Yeo Signature Mouthpieces.
NickJones
bugler
bugler

Post by NickJones »

Aye I think your right Andy...
just a bit of trivia , Sir Simon played percussion with the North Wales Youth Orchestra for a couple of years , percussion players were ( still are ) a rare breed and the percussion tutor ( bryan Thomas ) brought this young scouser down to help out..few years before I was invited to the Orchestra but would have been a great claim to fame , hey guess what Simon Rattle played triangle in Also Sprach...mega)
Nick Jones
Wales UK
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

That sounds right, but I understand Alan Sinclair has in the last year given up due to ill health. The last I heard, the CBSO is trialing various replacements.
tubafatness
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubafatness »

Thanks for the replies! The great mystery is finally settled. Bad to hear about someone having to give up a spot due to illness, though.
Ian1
bugler
bugler

Post by Ian1 »

There are load's of great Rattle recordings through the 80's and into the 90's with the CBSO. The Firebird (Full ballet score) is excellent, as is Mahler 2 and another that really stands out is the John Adams CD with Short Ride In A Fast Machine on. Just to add...I don't think they are trialing officially just yet as there isn't a job available at the moment.