Mahler 6 Philadelphia/Eschenbach

in that recording
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Mahler 6 Philadelphia/Eschenbach

Post by Wyvern »

I have just been reading the review of this new recording on Classics Today

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=10408

Good comment about the tuba!
All of those "things that go bump in the night" sound effects--the offstage chimes, plucked harp, icy-toned low celesta, and solo tuba--are perfectly in place. Indeed, I have to single out the tuba player for special praise. Eschenbach pays a lot of very welcome attention to Mahler's bass lines, and much of the credit for their pliancy and vividness goes to the tuba.

How often do we get noticed like that? :wink:

Is it Carol Janisch, or a predecessor on this new recording?

I think either way, I will have to listen to this one (particularly as I am practicing Mahler 6 for concert myself at present)!
pierre
bugler
bugler

Post by pierre »

I believe Steve Dumaine was playing that week, though I'm sure if that's wrong I'll be corrected shortly.
joebob
bugler
bugler

Post by joebob »

pierre wrote:I believe Steve Dumaine was playing that week, though I'm sure if that's wrong I'll be corrected shortly.
Steve Dumaine indeed played Mahler 6. It was a trial week for him. This was before the audition that Carol won. I'm not 100% sure but I believe this recording was of a concert from that week with Steve.