San Francisco Mahler Cycle!!!

in that recording
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

I was at one of the concerts when they recorded Mahler 5th. Jeff Anderson wasn't feeling well that week, and he still sounded amazing. MTT had some very different and very slow tempos in the piece, which made the tuba part that much more difficult.

Can't wait to hear the recording!

Rod
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I think my favourite Mahler cycle for its musicality is the one by Michael Gielen conducting the SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden Baden und Freiburg (on Hanssler Classics) and well recorded too. I personally prefer that even to Bertini

For the prominence of the tuba, there is no beating the cycle by Leif Segerstam and the Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra (on Chandos). Incredible tuba playing throughout. Now I wonder who that was, and what they were playing?
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

http://www.shopsfsymphony.org/generic.j ... T_OVERVIEW

Does Jeff Anderson play on all of these? Somehow I thought that a few of them were made before he got there. Doea anyone know what he is playing on these days? When he was in Rochester he was playing a Hirbrunner (HB2?).

Cool,
Bill
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
bberlien
bugler
bugler

Post by bberlien »

Craig Knox, now with the Pittsburgh Symphony, is playing on the SF/MTT Mahler 1 and 6. I believe he used a PT-6 back then. Jeff Anderson plays on the remainder of the Mahler set. I had the great fortune to hear Mr. Anderson with the orchestra in Carnegie Hall on symphonies 3, 5, and 7. He performed on a silver PT-6 for each of those concerts and I can only assume for all of the SFO recordings.
finnbogi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by finnbogi »

BGII wrote:The guy in the Danish Radio Symphony used a Yorkbrunner. I forget his name. He's supposed to be a really good soloist too.
I would guess that the tubist was Jens Bjørn-Larsen, although he has now left the DRSO.
Last year, I got the chance to listen to Bjørn-Larsen play a post-recording run-through of Maes Howe, a tuba concerto by Icelandic composer Ã