Kilton Smith or Chester Schmitz?

in that recording
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Kilton Smith or Chester Schmitz?

Post by hbcrandy »

I have a CD of Richard Struass material by the Bostn Symphony with William Steinberg that was remastered from a recording made in 1963 of Also Sprch Zarathustra, Til Eulenspiegel and Don Juan. Who is the tubist. Kilton Smith or Chester Schmitz (pardon the spelling of Chester's last name if I erred)?
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

That would be Kilton Vinal Smith if it was done in 1963. Played his entire career on a Kruspe F tuba. I'm not sure who played 2nd tuba on Zarathustra though. Incidentally, I just picked up an LP of The Steinberg/Boston Planets. Its one of the best recordings i've heard in awhile. Steinberg had great control over that orchestra. They made some wonderful music.
Teubonium
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Kilton Smith or Chester Schmitz?

Post by Teubonium »

hbcrandy wrote: Chester Schmitz (pardon the spelling of Chester's last name if I erred)?

Schmitz is correct.

:D :D
Bach Strad 36BO Sakbutt
Besson 967 Euph
MW2141 Eb
Kanstul 33s BBb
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

If memory serves me correct, it was Mr. Schmitz on Tenor and a young Sam Palafian on bass tuba. I seem to remember that coming up in conversation a long time ago with Sam.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

tuben wrote:
ZNC Dandy wrote:That would be Kilton Vinal Smith if it was done in 1963. Played his entire career on a Kruspe F tuba. I'm not sure who played 2nd tuba on Zarathustra though. Incidentally, I just picked up an LP of The Steinberg/Boston Planets. Its one of the best recordings i've heard in awhile. Steinberg had great control over that orchestra. They made some wonderful music.
Realize that on the Steinberg/Planets recording, it is Mr Schmitz playing the tenor tuba part on F tuba!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

RC
:shock: damn!
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Kilton Vinal Smith was called by his MIDDLE name (ie: Vinal Smith, not Kilton Smith). I am just as picky about how my name is.