BBC Scottish SO/Jonathan Harvey's "Body Mandala"

in that recording
tubafatness
4 valves
4 valves

BBC Scottish SO/Jonathan Harvey's "Body Mandala"

Post by tubafatness »

Does anyone know who the tubist(s) is/are on the new recording of Jonathan Harvey's music? The group is the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. From the BBCSSO website, it sounds like the tubist Chris McShane would have had the part. But, I don't know if he was playing the session, or if there are more than one tuba players on the recording. The piece "Body Mandala" has some huge low brass playing, which is supposedly used to imitate Tibetan horns used in Buddhist rituals. Very cool music.

Edit: Through Harvey's publisher, I have discovered that only one tubist that was needed for this CD. So I'm thinking it was Chris McShane, but if anyone can confirm my assumption, I'd appreciate it. Great playing from whoever is playing here.
Aaron
"There are places in music that you can only go if you're an idiot."--Tom Waits
The Deep End
bugler
bugler

Re: BBC Scottish SO/Jonathan Harvey's "Body Mandala"

Post by The Deep End »

Have just seen this posting after travelling back from London where we played two concerts in the Proms. Yes it was Chris McShane on that recording. There was some "interesting " writing for the trombones/tuba in that score !! Haven't actually heard the end result yet - must check out that CD !
LyndaFincher
lurker
lurker

Re: BBC Scottish SO/Jonathan Harvey's "Body Mandala"

Post by LyndaFincher »