Some Very Nice Playing

in that recording
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Some Very Nice Playing

Post by Chuck Jackson »

I am listening to a Cd of the music of Arnold Bax as I write this, a cd I haven't listened to in years, and I am more than a little impressed by The Ulster Orchestra under the direction of Bryden Thomson. This man has done more for music by British composers than anyone alive, having championed British music for more than 40 years. I would suggest that you search out his recordings of the Symphonies by Malcom Arnold, engaging works that should be performed more often.

Ok, on this cd is Bax's 4th Symphony and, arguably, his most famous work Tintagel which gets the best recording I have ever heard of the piece. I find Bax's music to be caught in the in betweens, he can never really decide if he is a Romantic Composer or an Impressionistic one. Tintagel is a glorious work that has some really huge moments throughout, none more so than in the first two minutes where the horns get to sound forth with all their glory. The 4th symphony is a nice work that suffers, IMHO, from a lack of direction. It has great MOMENTS, but just moments. The tuba parts to both works are active and have a good blend or soloistic material and just plain fat bottom support.

The tuba playing is GREAT. Big, FAT sound with a presence that I have come to expect from players from the British Isles. Tuba players who want an education in how to sound good in the cash register and learn a good lesson in both supporting an orchestra and getting to be heard in more soloistic sense would do well to hunt down this recording. Kudo's to the wonderful tuba playing and a great orchestra!!

Arnold Bax: Symphony NO.4 and Tintagel Bryden Thomson/Ulster Orchestra Chandos CHAN 8312. Recording made in 1983.

Happy Listening

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
The Deep End
bugler
bugler

Re: Some Very Nice Playing

Post by The Deep End »

The tubist on this recording was Ewan Easton who is now with the Halle Orchestra.
There are some Bryden Thomson/Bax recordings with the LPO as well with Owen Slade on tuba. Bryden " Bobby " Thomson also did a great Vaughan Williams Symphony cycle with the LSO ( with Patrick Harrild's recording of the concerto )
For the Malcolm Arnold symphonies, check out the Vernon Handley cycle ( on Hyperion I think ?) with the RPO and Chris McShane on tuba here.
All really great examples of great British EEb tuba playing...!!
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Some Very Nice Playing

Post by Chuck Jackson »

The Deep End wrote:All really great examples of great British EEb tuba playing...!!
Which beggars the question: Why the need for the BIG tubas if they were making that glorious noise on EEb's?

Chuck"curious"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates