1920's and early 30's dance band re-creationist tuba, etc.

in that recording
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Re: 1920's and early 30's dance band re-creationist tuba, et

Post by David Richoux »

There is a long running band from the San Francisco Bay Area - Royal Society Jazz Orchestra that started in San Jose during the 1970s. The bassist switches between tuba and double bass (I have filled in a few times - just on tuba - but it is not easy.)
They are very authentic in recreating that early large dance band style of the late 1920s - 1930s and they are very popular at jazz festivals all over the world.

There was a similar group from New York called Bluebird Society Orchestra but I think they have faded. The New Leviathan Oriental Foxtrot Orchestra from New Orleans plays some of the same book (but also goes earlier to the 1900s-1920s)

This worldwide list does not have every link for many similar groups but is a good starting point for finding this sort of thing in your region...
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

brownhunter wrote:I may have heard that group in the very early '90s in Sacramento... maybe at the jazz fest or something.
Yes, they have played at Sacramento Jazz Festival (formerly Dixieland Jubilee) since the 1970s - the one recent year they did not get invited raised a great ruckus among the audience!
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

I know this is not answering the original query, but Vince GIordano and the Nighthawks, hands down IMNSHO, the best sound going for 20s hot or sweet. Vince plays bass, tuba, and bass sax, sings, MCs, leads, and does the charts. Amazing guy, and equally great on banjo and guitar and almost anything he thinks about playing.

Great band. They now have 2 steady nights in NYC, too.