inception

in that recording
ztuba
pro musician
pro musician

inception

Post by ztuba »

who played what .. I think I heard multiple contrabones and cimbasso am I right?
Kalison K2001
Norwegian Star
JinBoa F Cimbasso
Giddings and Webster 4 life
CC
pro musician
pro musician

Re: inception

Post by CC »

This is from the Inception premiere...

Fast forward past the red carpet stuff to the 8:00 mark to see and hear a live concert with Hans Zimmer, Johnny Marr at the event.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/8272851" target="_blank" target="_blank

It's about 20 minutes of them playing.

Tenor Bone: Bruce Fowler, Bill Booth, Andy Martin, Charlie Loper, Lori Stuntz, Nick Lane

Bass Bone: Bruce Otto, Alex Iles, George Thatcher, Ken Kugler

Contrabass Bone: Phil Teele & Craig Gosnell

Tuba: Doug Tornquist & Bill Roper

EDITED: My mistake Tuboid...
Last edited by CC on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Wow!!!!! Nice stuff, Zimmer definitely channeling the spirit, style, and orchestration of the great Bernard Herrmann(no trumpets whatsoever). If you like this, check out Herrmann's soundtracks to Vertigo and Cape Fear, the latter in it's newer recording of the remake. IIRC, Cape Fear used something like 16 horns, 12 trombones and 2 tubas as its brass section, nonetheless, one of the SCARIEST soundtracks ever written. Glad to see that Hollywood composers are using ALOT of brass and going back to pounding out huge blocks of sound.

Chuck"who doesn't go to movies, but loves the soundtracks"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
ztuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ztuba »

I knew I heard more low brass than what was playing in that premiere concert
Kalison K2001
Norwegian Star
JinBoa F Cimbasso
Giddings and Webster 4 life
Tuba Steve
lurker
lurker

Post by Tuba Steve »

I believe this may be the first movie sountrack I buy...
Steven Needham

M.M. Peabody Conservatory
B.M. University of New Mexico

PT6-P
PT10
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

Not the most heavily "synthesizered-up" Zimmer soundtrack I've ever heard, but like a lot of his work, I'd imagine the brass live was far more epic than it ended up being in the final mix. I remember hearing tell of a studio call for Pearl Harbor using five tubas that was pretty unbelievable at the session, but failed to deliver the goods after it'd been run through the mixing board.

Although Hans gets props for what he's trying to do, I sometimes wonder why he brings all the firepower to the gig, then kinda layers them back so deeply in the mix. To Chuck's point, if you'd like to hear an awesome use of brass both in the writing and the mixing, check out Elmer Bernstein's re-orchestrated Bernard Herrmann score to the Cape Fear remake with DeNiro and Nolte. Recorded back in New York, it's got Warren Deck holding down the basement and the entire brass section sounding absolutely amazing. I'd opine that it's one of the most visceral, brass-heavy scores in my collection of nearly 1,000.

...D
Dave Amason
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

poomshanka wrote: snip I'd opine that it's one of the most visceral, brass-heavy scores in my collection of nearly 1,000.

...D
Wow - sounds like a great collection. If you like soundtracks, check out the long running "Norman Bates Memorial Soundtrack Show" with Robert Emmett on KFJC FM (on line at http://www.kfjc.org/netcast/index.php Saturdays 9 Am to Noon Pacific Timezone - limited archives available.) He has been playing soundtacks from movies and TV shows for almost 30 years.

My personal favorite cut is not particularly Bass Heavy, but features the well used bass t-bone on Lalo Schiferen's Shifting Gears from "Bullitt." (don't get the re-release version - only one bone on it!)
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

David Richoux wrote:Wow - sounds like a great collection. If you like soundtracks, check out the long running "Norman Bates Memorial Soundtrack Show" with Robert Emmett on KFJC FM (on line at http://www.kfjc.org/netcast/index.php Saturdays 9 Am to Noon Pacific Timezone - limited archives available.) He has been playing soundtacks from movies and TV shows for almost 30 years.

My personal favorite cut is not particularly Bass Heavy, but features the well used bass t-bone on Lalo Schiferen's Shifting Gears from "Bullitt." (don't get the re-release version - only one bone on it!)
Thanx for the recommendation! Yes, I need professional help. I sometimes re-buy scores, as I often lose track of all the titles in my library.

:roll:

...D
Dave Amason
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

Chuck Jackson wrote:Wow!!!!! Nice stuff, Zimmer definitely channeling the spirit, style, and orchestration of the great Bernard Herrmann(no trumpets whatsoever). If you like this, check out Herrmann's soundtracks to Vertigo and Cape Fear, the latter in it's newer recording of the remake. IIRC, Cape Fear used something like 16 horns, 12 trombones and 2 tubas as its brass section, nonetheless, one of the SCARIEST soundtracks ever written. Glad to see that Hollywood composers are using ALOT of brass and going back to pounding out huge blocks of sound.

Chuck"who doesn't go to movies, but loves the soundtracks"Jackson
Regarding Cape Fear:

Is the newer recording the one with Elmer Bernstein?
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

TexTuba wrote:Regarding Cape Fear:

Is the newer recording the one with Elmer Bernstein?
Yes:

http://tinyurl.com/2a8xj3x" target="_blank

...D
Dave Amason
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

poomshanka wrote:...check out Elmer Bernstein's re-orchestrated Bernard Herrmann score to the Cape Fear remake...
I decided to check it out, and I just got it in the mail. It's awesome, thanks for the recommendation!
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
bentuba7
bugler
bugler

Post by bentuba7 »

cbettler
bugler
bugler

Post by cbettler »

Thanks for posting this video link. That was really cool. Looks like there was some contrabass trombone doubling in the bass trombone section, and cimbasso doubling in the tubas as well. I love this soundtrack!

CB
Chris Bettler
Tuba Instrumentalist, US Navy Music Program
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Neither the music nor the movie are particularly my style... but that must have been a ton of fun to play!
The Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by The Jackson »

I LOVE behind-the-scenes videos like this. Thanks for share. Hans Zimmer is a favorite!
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

Is the one bass bone player, the blond haired woman on the end, shown pretty close up just before the cut to the guitar, the woman from Bones Ahead?
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Private video?