Whos the tubist in this Mahler 2 recording

in that recording
tubaman1019
bugler
bugler

Whos the tubist in this Mahler 2 recording

Post by tubaman1019 »

Good closeup on him at about 1hr 18mins and 40 secs. Also at 57 mins Awesome low register :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6idPaGqvV8" target="_blank" target="_blank
Florida Grand Opera - Tuba/Cimbasso
Palm Beach Symphony - Tuba
DMA University of Miami '21
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Whos the tubist in this Mahler 2 recording

Post by Ace »

That's the University of California-Davis orchestra. Their current roster shows John Matter as the tubist.

http://music.ucdavis.edu/symphony/roster-1" target="_blank

Ace
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Who's the other one?

Chuck"my wonder was answered as to the depth of sound when seeing two tubas"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Nachdiddlyacho
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Nachdiddlyacho »

The other tubist was Portia Njoku, a former student of mine. I'm not sure what the reason was behind the doubling...
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Not to diminish the playing on the video, but the effect of the contrabassoon in those chorales in Mahler 2 should not be underestimated. It works perfectly with the tubas to provide that glorious sound. I did not realise its effect myself until I played the work and could actually feel the contrabassoon vibrations through my tuba (at that time a Besson 981 Eb!).

I remember reading an article in the TUBA Journal (now ITEA) that the harmonic profile of the contrabasson is strongest where the tuba is weakest and vis-versa, so they perfectly compliment each other. I have wondered why contrabassoons are not usually used in concert bands to support the bass part? Would seem to make good sense and be far more appropriate than string bass, or electric bass guitar!
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Neptune wrote:I have wondered why contrabassoons are not usually used in concert bands to support the bass part?
Cost, availability, and ability?

Chuck"who sees the contrabassoon as more of a hindrance than a help in the hands of an amateur"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates