Floyd: Susannah, Lyon National Opera/Nagano...

in that recording
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Floyd: Susannah, Lyon National Opera/Nagano...

Post by ZNC Dandy »

Anyone know who the tuba player is, or was? This recording was done in 1993. Really fantastic playing here. If you get a chance, this opera has some really tremendous writing for low brass, and the tuba player has a really wonderful sound. The "Revival Scene" in Act 2 is just flat our bonechilling.
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Floyd: Susannah, Lyon National Opera/Nagano...

Post by Roger Lewis »

That probably would have been Mel Culbertson. Great player. I've worked with Kent Nagano and he is amazing!

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Roger Lewis wrote:That probably would have been Mel Culbertson. Great player. I've worked with Kent Nagano and he is amazing!

Roger
Yes, Kent Nagano is a fine musician. For many years he was the principal conductor of the orchestra in my little town of 100,000 people. His concerts with the Berkeley (CA) Symphony were usually sell-outs and offered innovative programs. Kent became a noted conductor in Lyons, France and in Berlin (I've forgotten the name of his German orchestra).
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

Roger Lewis wrote:That probably would have been Mel Culbertson. Great player. I've worked with Kent Nagano and he is amazing!

Roger
Thanks for the info Roger! That name had crossed my mind, but wasn't sure. Damn, what a sound!