Who is playing the helicon on Boardwalk Empire?

in that recording
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Who is playing the helicon on Boardwalk Empire?

Post by David Richoux »

In the first episode of this HBO series there is a parade band with a helicon. Also, while there is a lot of historical recordings used as soundtrack, there is also a lot of newly performed versions of period songs with very strong tuba.

I know Vince Giordano and his Nighthawks were signifigantly involved with the music for this show but I cannot find any website with a roster of the musicians in the band.

The HBO website has a very nice song list for each episode but nothing listing sidemen.

A L.A. Times article on the show music here.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Re: Who is playing the helicon on Boardwalk Empire?

Post by David Richoux »

I watched the first 3 episodes last night - as some critics have said, the story line is not the greatest, but the details are amazing!

I used to play a lot of this kind of music on my radio show, I am very familiar with most of the tunes and original recordings - and the new versions are also very well done. The theme song used for the opening credits is the only one I have a problem with - it is way too modern...
tubatradguy
lurker
lurker

Re: Who is playing the helicon on Boardwalk Empire?

Post by tubatradguy »

The fellow with the helicon is Joe Ostwald, son of NYC tubist David Ostwald, who leads the Louis Armstrong Centennial Band at Birdland every Weds. Joe isn't a tuba player, but has done extra work on the show. And David has a helicon!