Shostakovich Symphony No. 4

in that recording
SFAtuba
bugler
bugler

Shostakovich Symphony No. 4

Post by SFAtuba »

Anyone know who played with Jake on the CSO recording of Shostakovich Symphony No. 4 with Andre Previn conducting?

I have it on LP, not sure if it's available on CD. Some great playing throughout, and some VERY nice tuba playing!

Just curious!
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Shostakovich Symphony No. 4

Post by Chuck Jackson »

SFAtuba wrote:I have it on LP, not sure if it's available on CD. Some great playing throughout, and some VERY nice tuba playing!
It is, indeed, available on cd. It is coupled with a Shosty 5 w/ Chicago and Britten's Four Sea Interludes and Passacaglia from Peter Grimes and also his Sinfonia da Requiem. The Britten works are with the LSO. It is a double cd from EMI Classic's budget Double Forte label. The number is 7243 5 72658 2 9.

As a side note, if believe that Andre Previn is THE best interpreter of the 20th Century Russian Composers. His Prokofiev 5, 6, 7 and Nevsky readings with the LAPO are amazing. I consider his reading of Shosty 8 with the London Symphony from 1972 (no longer available last time I looked) to be one of the best recordings of anything ever done. Truly terrifying in every aspect, especially the monumental explosion of agony in the middle of the 1st movement, to this day it still raises the hair on my arms to hear the sheer volume of sound coming from the orchestra. If you like Maurice Murphy, and you should as, IMHO, he is the gold standard for orchestral trumpet playing, pick up Previn's second recording of Shosty 8 on DG with the LSO. That man flat out owns the orchestra. While I like the 5th on this particular recording, I still place Bernstein's 1959 reading with the NYPO at the top of my list. Bell sounds wonderful!!!

Song and Wind will be able to tell you who played 2nd on Shosty 4. Brian did a great job listing everyone who recorded with Mr. Jacobs.

Happy Listening

Chuck"who thinks that Hersth fellow is pretty fabulous, too, but likes what he likes"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Chuck Jackson wrote:
SFAtuba wrote:I have it on LP, not sure if it's available on CD. Some great playing throughout, and some VERY nice tuba playing!
It is, indeed, available on cd. It is coupled with a Shosty 5 w/ Chicago and Britten's Four Sea Interludes and Passacaglia from Peter Grimes and also his Sinfonia da Requiem. The Britten works are with the LSO. It is a double cd from EMI Classic's budget Double Forte label. The number is 7243 5 72658 2 9.

As a side note, if believe that Andre Previn is THE best interpreter of the 20th Century Russian Composers. His Prokofiev 5, 6, 7 and Nevsky readings with the LAPO are amazing. I consider his reading of Shosty 8 with the London Symphony from 1972 (no longer available last time I looked) to be one of the best recordings of anything ever done. Truly terrifying in every aspect, especially the monumental explosion of agony in the middle of the 1st movement, to this day it still raises the hair on my arms to hear the sheer volume of sound coming from the orchestra. If you like Maurice Murphy, and you should as, IMHO, he is the gold standard for orchestral trumpet playing, pick up Previn's second recording of Shosty 8 on DG with the LSO. That man flat out owns the orchestra. While I like the 5th on this particular recording, I still place Bernstein's 1959 reading with the NYPO at the top of my list. Bell sounds wonderful!!!

Song and Wind will be able to tell you who played 2nd on Shosty 4. Brian did a great job listing everyone who recorded with Mr. Jacobs.

Happy Listening

Chuck"who thinks that Hersth fellow is pretty fabulous, too, but likes what he likes"Jackson
I have that Shostakovich 8 with Previn on EMI and I agree it's great, but for sheer power you might want to check out the Kondrashin/Moscow and Solti/CSO,-- unbelievable.
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

doublebuzzing wrote:
I have that Shostakovich 8 with Previn on EMI and I agree it's great, but for sheer power you might want to check out the Kondrashin/Moscow and Solti/CSO,-- unbelievable.
I agree with that statement. But for sheer Richter scale, ear punishing, window shattering power...its hard to beat the Rozhdestvensky/USSR Ministry of Culture Orchestra Shostakovich Symphony Cycle. Especially the 11th. Chuck had it right about BOTH of the Previn Shostakovich 8's, truly stupendous playing. Another 8 to check out would be the Mravinsky/Leningrad recording. Speed, precision, and power. I really dig that Soviet brass sound. Something soooooo wrong and non-Western about it. :twisted:

p.s. I think David Fedderly is playing 2nd on the CSO/Shostakovich 4th...