Shostakovich 13th, Russian State Symphony Orchestra, 1996

in that recording
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Shostakovich 13th, Russian State Symphony Orchestra, 1996

Post by AHynds »

Hello, one and all!

Today at work, I listened through about 4 whole symphonies by Dmitri Shostakovich. For some reason, this made great listening as I assembled metal stock parts and hammered in pins! I have the set of the his complete symphonies with the WDR Symphony Orchestra and Rudolf Barshai, and when I got home today, I decided to find some other recordings of the works I listened to. One of the works that I really enjoyed was the 13th Symphony, subtitled "Babi Yar". This work is new to me, and I was amazed to hear a huge, very exposed and beautiful tuba solo in the fourth movement. On Naxos, I found a recording from 1996 with the Russian State Symphony Orchestra with Ayik Martyrosyan as the bass soloist and Valeri Polyansky at the helm. Does anyone know who would have played tuba on this recording? Whoever it is sounds great, and they perform the tuba solo wonderfully.

Thanks!
Aaron H.
Aaron Hynds, DMA
Lecturer, Music Business & New Media - University of Kentucky
I like to make and record sounds with metal pipes and computers.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Shostakovich 13th, Russian State Symphony Orchestra, 199

Post by Wyvern »

I don't know who was the tuba player, but do remember when I heard the Russian State Symphony Orchestra in concert a few years ago I was surprised to see a Meinl-Weston 25 4/4 BBb being played. I went and had a close look from the choir seats in the interval to confirm the model. Of course don't know if that was used in the recording.