Mr Deeds Goes To Town(1936)

in that recording
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Mr Deeds Goes To Town(1936)

Post by tbn.al »

Two questions.....Who is really playing the tuba and what kind of tuba is it?
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
taylorbeaty
bugler
bugler

Re: Mr Deeds Goes To Town(1936)

Post by taylorbeaty »

great movie, but to answer your question, i don't know. lol
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Check with Norm Pearson (tubist with the L.A. Phil). He knows who played with which of the studios. Back in the days before Tommy Johnson, each of the Hollywood motion picture studios had a regular cadre of musicians who didn't play anywhere else. Freelancing didn't start until the late 1950s/early 1960s.
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Just ask him who was the tuba player at Columbia Pictures in 1935-36.
lurker

Post by ron warner »

This is a reply to the question of who really played the tuba in the 1936 movie "Mr. Deeds goes to town". The person playing is my grandfather... Winthrop Oliver Warner, or "Windy Warner" as his friends called him. I had thought that in the credits of the movie they had him listed, but in most of the DVD's that you buy now the full credits are not included. Hope this answers your question and gives my grandfather the credit he deserves.

Winthrop Ronald Warner
ron warner
lurker
lurker

Post by ron warner »

This is a reply to the question of who really played the tuba in the 1936 movie "Mr. Deeds goes to town". The person playing is my grandfather... Winthrop Oliver Warner, or "Windy Warner" as his friends called him. I had thought that in the credits of the movie they had him listed, but in most of the DVD's that you buy now the full credits are not included. Hope this answers your question and gives my grandfather the credit he deserves.

Winthrop Ronald Warner
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I did some research about Winthrop Oliver Warner and found out he worked at Columbia Pictures (when they were in the middle of Hollywood), playing mostly tuba but other instruments as well (string bass was #2 after tuba, but also euphonium and trombone). Unlike studio musicians today, he didn't freelance. Musicians before Tommy Johnson worked on a studio system like the actors. They were paid a regular salary and had regular hours, although certain projects could yield some hefty bonuses. "Windy" Warner died at the end of February 1942. He was only 50 years old.

As far as the tubas used in the movie... Those were tubas actually owned by Windy Warner! Conn and King, if I'm not mistaken (there were two horns used).
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

I have submitted this info to imdb.com - who knows if they will actually add it to their file on Mr. Deeds...
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

It's been awhile and I noticed on the IMDb website someone, who didn't know much about tubas "noticed" that Gary Cooper wasn't using a tuba, but rather a euphonium. They were small E-flat tubas. I own one that weighs in about 12 pounds (built about 100 years ago) and some people who don't ask me what it is "assume" it's a euphonium. I overheard someone saying this when I was playing it and showed them it wasn't what they thought. Yes, it's actually lighter and smaller than many euphoniums and baritone horns. But it has a heck of a lot more tubing in it.
bugler

Post by pigman »

I own the tuba used in the film. Ill be posting more about it on my Conn tuba group on FB