Fountains & Pines of Rome Bookmark and Share

in that recording

Fountains & Pines of Rome

Postby Harrypenguin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:17 am

I found a record of the NBC Symphony Orchestra under Toscanini playing the Fountains of Rome and the Pines of Rome. From what I can find on the internet, the record is from 1966. I can't seem to find out who the tubist is though.
Harrypenguin
lurker
lurker

Re: Fountains & Pines of Rome

Postby Chuck Jackson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:29 am

Must have been a re-issue as Toscanini was dead in 1966. I think you have the recording that was made in the early 50's. Anyones guess who the tuba player was, Bell had already left for the NYPO. I know that Mr. Torchinsky played in the orchestra, but am unsure of the dates. IIRC, it was a good recording, but incredibly fast.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Postby cktuba » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:55 am

http://trombone.ueuo.com/sections.htm#top

Most likely the tubist was Joseph Novotny. IMHO, a very under-rated player. Well, maybe under-rated is the wrong word, those who know of him all seem to think very highly of him... but he was (apparently) a very private person and not well known to a lot of people. Every recording I have heard with him playing has been great.
cktuba
6 valves
6 valves

Location: A department store freeing a man trapped inside what I believe to be a "Martin Mammoth."

Postby Harrypenguin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 pm

I did some more research and found the name Herbert Jenkel. Not much more than that though, could it have been him? I've never heard of him.

http://www.classicalrecordings.org/znbc/nbcplayers.html" target="_blank
Harrypenguin
lurker
lurker

Return to Who played tuba ...