The British Write Beautiful Music

in that recording
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

The British Write Beautiful Music

Post by Chuck Jackson »

George Lloyds music first came to my attention through his marvelous "Diversions on a Bass Theme" for Brass Band. If you haven't heard this particular piece, you are missing, IMHO opinion (along with Heatons "Contest Music"), the height of Brass Band writing.

I am currently listening to Lloyds 6th Symphony as played by the BBC Philharmonic conducting by Bryden Thompson. A gorgeous work that has a wealth of brass writing, but more importantly, lays down such a wonderful, cogent, musical thought that even my wife, a violin player who has played ALOT of music and generally tunes most music out, sat listening in rapt awe of its beauty.

I would encourage everyone who needs a freshening up of some stale listening habits to seek out ALL of Lloyd's music and be prepared to be very impressed.

Kudos to the Brits for embracing their countrymen with a zeal only equaled in the States by the old Louisville recordings and the Schwartz/Seatlle Symphony recordings of American music. Absolutely lovely music making on all levels!!!

Happy listening.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
AndyCat
3 valves
3 valves

Re: The British Write Beautiful Music

Post by AndyCat »

Have you tried Lloyd's "English Heritage"? I love that, some fantastic Tuba writing. I have a great live recording from years ago that's particularly good...

Also, performed, then recorded, Heaton's "Partita" last month with Howard Snell and Fodens Band. A greater piece than even Contest Music, IMO. Again, there is a great live recording of this from years ago.
Andy Cattanach, UK
Fodens Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble.
Yamaha Neo BBb x 2 (2011 and 2016), B+H 3v Imperial BBb.
Yamaha YBL613H Bass Trombone.
Mercer and Barker MB5 Cattanach, Yeo Signature Mouthpieces.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Chuck, I also love George Lloyds music and have CDs of all his symphonies and band pieces - very inspiring music!

Shame they are rarely performed in concerts. I am sure audiences would enjoy.
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Neptune wrote:Shame they are rarely performed in concerts. I am sure audiences would enjoy.

Johnathon, I couldn't agree more!!! I am equally as taken with Bax's music, too. It is a shame that today's concert halls are filled with an ever narrowing set of repertoire. If you ever get the chance, pick up the complete symphonies by Kurt Addeburg. As good as any late romantic/early 20th century works as by more popular composers, and better by half than many of them.
AndyCat wrote:Have you tried Lloyd's "English Heritage"?
Indeed I have Andy, but TO ME, it lacks the visceral punch of Diversions. A splendid work nonetheless. I believe I have the cd of the same title with Matheson's Air on it. There is some absolutely bionic BBb playing on that particular work!!! I have never heard such control over the pedal register!!!

Happy listening.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates