Solti's Ring

in that recording
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Solti's Ring

Post by Tubadork »

Hi,
I was watching "The Golden Ring" and there were 2 tuba players (it looked like 1 F and 1 CC (? BBb). I thought that I heard that Bob Tucci played on that cycle and the guy with the big tuba could have been him, but I don't know who the F tuba guy was.
Any ideas? p.s. it's a cool DVD, so anyone who digs the Ring should check it out.
Bill Pritchard
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

Bill

Huttl for life
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

bump hadley

Huttl for life
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Where can I get the disc?

My normal sources don't have it :(
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

Huttl for life
Haugan
bugler
bugler
Location: Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay, Rockford, Il., Chicago, (depending on day & duty)

Solti Ring

Post by Haugan »

The Solti "Ring" is still a standard bearer for "Ring" enthusiasts. The Vienna Philharmonic has always prided itself in delivering performances that are "historically correct" even to the point of using instruments considered outdated or obsolete in modern orchestras (i.e. "Wiener" horns, "Boehm System" clarinets & oboes, wooden flutes, rotary valved trumpets, etc). If you want to hear what it may have sounded like in 1870, these recording are GREAT. The "snarling" quality of the trombones and the chillingly evil sounds generated by the Wagner Tubas/Kontrabass Tuba especially gives one a real idea of what was EXPECTED from the tuba and other brasses at that point in musical history. There are certainly times when it is appropriate for the tuba to drop it's "smooth, round, and beautiful" tone image and "play the Heavy" and the "Ring" is one of those times. One can learn a LOT by listening to these recordings. p.s. I believe Bob Tucci didn't play the ENTIRE cycle. If I remember correctly, he is just heard on "Die Walkure" (and possibly "Gotterdammerung"?). I studied with him 1973-75, and at one point he returned to the U.S. to play a "stint" in the "Army Field Band". Dan Perantoni was in the band at that time, and Dan also served in the band with Chester Schmitz. Can you imagine what the band's tuba section sounded like in those times?
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. --Shakespeare

It is my belief, that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to decieve - Mark Twain