whatever happend to dave gannett?

in that recording
dgannett
bugler
bugler

Post by dgannett »

Hi Scott -
I am alive and well in Arab, Alabama. Just starting to play a bit again after an industrial accident that busted my chops.
Thanks for your kind remarks about TFH - wish I had the wherewithall to do all the album projects I have in my head, but whatever. Raising a family and paying the bills are top priority right now...

Best regards - Dave Gannett
Dave Gannett
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

I love that CD!!! Very awesome
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

TFH is one of my very favorites. I especially dig the track with all of the natural sounds. I transferred it to my ipod so I can listen to it anytime.

I hope you are doing better Dave.
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

TFH, Christmas Cookies, all that Crazy Rosie's stuff(DAVE GANNET DID THE ABSOLUTLEY BEST RENDITION OF "WHEN YOUR SMILIN'"). All that's great, but really, Dave, don't you pine for the "Elephant Sit Down Music", "Quality Plus" at warp speed, Jerry Tyree telling all the great stories about NY, Miko the Elephant trainer(Ski Kowalski used to get his entire paycheck in about 5 hands of poker), or Jewel Newell and Kenneth? You were and will always be the best tuba player to wear pants in the world.Hope you can get it back and get it on!!!!!!!

Chuck"Let's have a little "It's a Circus World"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
dgannett
bugler
bugler

Whatever Happened?

Post by dgannett »

Man, Circus World! Hah - what a hoot we had there!!! I remember my very first time playing on that Monte Carlo stage arching over the main floor entrance. About 120 degrees and time for the elephants - those hot, sweaty rascals came thundering through the entrance under our feet and that SMELL exploded in waves over the band - gasping and tears running down myface as we pounded through the music, which the other guys found very amusing since they were accustomed to it. Now THAT'S what being a musician is all about! Amazing to hear from you Chuck...
There are endless stories, but I'm trying to remember if you were there when the elephant geneticist came to collect semen specimens from the bull elephants? Too long to recount here, will certainly show up in my book at some point.
Meanwhile through an amazing set of circumstances (meaning, The Lord), my original horn was returned to me last Fri (2/11) in better than new condition! Obviously I'm supposed to start working on the chops again. It's coming along, but I'm awfully reluctant to shave off my Santa beard to get better skin contact. I traded off my killer BBb Beuscher helicon (black lacquer, silver engraving - very pretty) to Jay Mueller in exchange for my horn. I've spent the last 12 years playing a BBb against my better judgment in order to make a better visual for show band stuff out on the circuit. But I'm done with that stuff.
Many thanks too, guys, for your kind remarks - much appreciated in my dotage! I am amazed at the level of playing among tuba players today...I would have bowed out long ago if there'd been that kind of competition back when I was "coming up". Pat Sheridan alone is enough to make you take up truck driving...
BTW Chuck, I toured w/Poe for years w/The Black Dogs and we always roomed together. As you know, he is a rather misunderstood individual, but he and I always got along (hmm, I wonder what THAT means?) and he's one of the few people I know with whom I can carry on a normal conversation without filtering my vocabulary to suit the listener's level of literacy.
Any way, thanks for letting me ramble...
Dave Gannett
Toad Away
bugler
bugler

Post by Toad Away »

Dave --
Great to see your post here.
It was just yesterday I came upon my old VHS of you w/sousaphone (and pyrotechnics) on that TNN show.
The 'Direct-Disk' album that you and Allred did
with the band at Rosie's is still an all-time favorite of mine.
Man, I hope your chops heal and that we can hear from you
in the future.
Best wishes,
Tim (I may be geezin', but I can still remember playing duets with you at the Phoenix Sym. audition all those many years ago) Loehr
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Dave,
I remember the stories about the elephant geneticist as only Jerry Tyree could tell them. He had me peeing my pants one Sunday when Jay Meuller asked him about it. I, too, remember sweating like Mike Tyson in a spelling bee up on the stand. I have very fond memories of Charlie Bertini conducting and playing along with Roland and Don and Duckface. It was a charge for a 19 yo kid to play with such an assemblage of GREAT players.

BTW, Poe was the man.

Have Peace,

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
IkeH
bugler
bugler

Post by IkeH »

Hey Dave-
Nice to see you're still alive and kickin' out there. Your work on the Titan Hot 7 CD is some of the best dixie tuba going - the real deal. Sorry you had to lose the black horn to Jay. It's a great sounding horn. I've put in my time with Dave Poe myself when he was here in Nashville. People are still telling stories about that guy, and that was 30 years ago!
Chuck- read my email and let me know what you think - and the dogwoods aren't quite out yet - maybe by Easter.
Ike Harris
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Gotcha covered Ike, little crazy around here. Look for a note @ Thursday. Have Peace.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
dgannett
bugler
bugler

Re: whatever happend to dave gannett?

Post by dgannett »

Thanks! I'm glad I got to do it before time and circumstance caught up with me. Dave
Dave Gannett
dgannett
bugler
bugler

Post by dgannett »

Hi - Well, it was in 2003 that I had my chops bashed in. I worked up until this year to get them back, but they never quite made it. I retired from playing the tuba on June 1st and sold my remaining horn. I still play bass, but the horn is now in the past. Thanks for asking - Dave
Dave Gannett
ftempas
lurker
lurker

Post by ftempas »

Sorry to hear that you had to give it up. I love the TFH album! I heard you play live once in Redding, CA and saw the flaming tuba bit. What a great bit!

Best wishes,

Fred Tempas
FunkyTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by FunkyTuba »

Dave, I just had your "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" track from Christmas Cookies come up on my Pandora mix, and I wanted to say "Thanks"...

Thanks!