...in Greatest Hits: Wagner, NY Phil

in that recording
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: ...in Greatest Hits: Wagner, NY Phil

Post by UDELBR »

evilcartman wrote: I'm guessing it was Warren Deck because in the "Ride" on this CD he absolutely demolishes the rest of the orchestra when he comes in with the famous motif near the end.
I've owned and enjoyed that recording for years. I never thought he "demolished" anything, but played with a very big, controlled sound. It's definitely Warren, as I discussed this recording with him once.
scottmendoker
pro musician
pro musician

Post by scottmendoker »

Got a funny story about that recording of the "Ride". They did lots of takes and on one and ONLY one take, one of the trombones came in early on their very first entrance. This person turned to the trombone player next to him and said, "Watch - that will be the one they take!!?" So, put on your headphones and/or crank up your stereo - it's there. That's the one they took.
It's a wonderful recording. And, it led to a series of just remarkable recordings w/Mehta. If you don't own the following, get them (if they're still available): The label is TELDEC - Mahler #5, Rite of Spring and Symphony in Three Movements, Sibelius #2 and Finlandia, The Planets. All these were done around the time that Mehta announced his resignation - around 1990 or so.
Warren sounded incredible - always - and especially on these CDs.
Scott Mendoker
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Warren was our guest at our SCMEA Tuba Day in 1984. As part of his evening performance, he played a few orchestral excerpts. Someone from the audience asked him if he could play "The Ride" for us. Warren prefaced playing it by stating something to the effect that, as loud as I'm going to play this right now, that because of the register that it's in, and because of the trombones playing above it, that you won't hear the tuba in an orchestra, but more that you will feel it. I already owned the cd and when I listened to it the next day, I was amazed at how clearly you could hear Warren - amazing playing! My first thoughts at the time were that perhaps they mixed the recording to make the tuba more prominent. I only thought that because Warren said that you wouldn't really hear the tuba. To this day, I never tried to find out if that was true. I know that on a recording of the LA Philharmonic playing "1812" and "Romeo and Juliet", Roger Bobo was playing a 184 or 185 Miraphone and he was as clear as a bell. But, on that recording, you could hear the recording engineer playing around with sound levels, which disturbed me greatly at the time when I bought that recording. Still, Roger sounded great, even on the small horn. Sorry for rambling! Good luck to all of you north easterners who have to dig out of the blizzard. We have about 18 in. on the ground now with the snow winding down, but we still have high wind gusts causing some 3-4 ft. drifts. Sorry for rambling again!
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Bill Troiano wrote:I already owned the cd and when I listened to it the next day, I was amazed at how clearly you could hear Warren - amazing playing! My first thoughts at the time were that perhaps they mixed the recording to make the tuba more prominent.
I know it was recorded at SUNY Purchase, which is a pretty tuba-friendly hall, but I distinctly remember sitting many times in Avery Fisher Hall, and feeling Warren's sound resonating in the floor! :shock: