One of the bands called "Dukes of Dixieland" Bookmark and Share

in that recording

One of the bands called "Dukes of Dixieland"

Postby bigtubby » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:20 am

Who is this tubist?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuEK7I7Nf4M#at=18[/youtube]
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Re: One of the bands called "Dukes of Dixieland"

Postby the elephant » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:39 am

The trumpeter doing the intro is (I think) Pete Barbutti. That is his big band, IIRC.

Thoses guys are one of the groups who copped the name "Dukes of Dixieland" but are NOT the Assunto brothers and Pop.

The first tune is "Struttin' with Some Barbecue" if you really care. It is an old standard.

As far as the actual Dukes, I liked Rich Matteson as the tubist best. (He was the improve teacher at North Texas, my alma mater, so I am, of course, a bit biased.) He was a thousand times better than this fellow, who is "okay" with the style, but not to my taste. I do not know who he is. If he is a member here, I want to qualify my criticism by saying that Rich Matteson is hard to top, and that I, who play this stuff a good bit (or did until about 2010) would probably land in the same boat with this player in the video. I am a good player, but this stuff is not what I grew up on; I came to it later in life (late 20s) and will never feel truly at home in such bands. This guy makes me think he also did not make his entire living from playing this style of music, but might be some classically trained guy like me who is learning the ropes. I cannot really tell, though.

Interesting video, though. Good find. Look up some using the term "Assunto" to see if you can find some of the real deal. Also look up the Firehouse Five.

Read this. It is a lot of names, but if you have any interest in this sort of playing, history is almost as important as harmonic theory. Anyway, it is interesting, regardless...

Good luck!

http://www.thedukesofdixieland.com/history.htm
Click here for a look at the best 6/4 now on the market...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Re: One of the bands called "Dukes of Dixieland"

Postby orleansjon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:35 am

I believe that's Danny Rubio on tuba.
orleansjon
bugler
bugler

Return to Who played tuba ...