Columbia Records Studio Musician?

in that recording
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Columbia Records Studio Musician?

Post by Gongadin »

This is a long-shot....
anyone out there have any idea as to who might've been a first-call Studio Musician for Columbia Records in the 'teens and 'twenties?
The musician I'm wondering about is on a number of Green Columibas (ethnic series) playing behind such performers as Peisachke Burstein. Since it's on this series I can't find information in Rust's Discographies, and Spottswood's books are incomplete. I know that Abe Schwartz's Orchestra was used as the backing band for many of these artists, and Schwartz often was the session contractor.
The tuba tone's fantastic, the playing's tasteful, and I bet it's a mighty BAT. The musician sounds rather polished, and I'm wondering if perhaps it's a member of the New York Symphony or Philharmonic.
Any speculations would be appreciated!
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

I'll take a little bit of a leap. Given the years, the Helleberg family may very well have been on these recordings. Two guys who were just coming into their own in the early 20's were Fred Pfaff and Joe Tarto, both fantastic players by anyones standards. You might want to research them. I seem to remember a Joe Tarto book put out by Charles Colin up throught the late 70's that had an extensive listing of his recording credits. Paul Lucas wrote a nice article about Joe Tarto for an olde TUBA Journal. He knew Tarto in his later years and may have studied with him in his youth in New Jersey.

Unfortunately the man who was a great admirer of Pfaff's, Lee Richardson, passed away some time back. I believe he wrote an article about Fred for an early TUBA Journal. Pfaff lived well into his 90's and was THE tuba player in NY before the advent of Fred Geib, which is going back a ways. Hope this gave you a point of departure.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Tarto

Post by Gongadin »

Thanks, Chuck;
I really appreciate it. Thanks for the lead. I'm quite familiar with Tarto's recordings and playing....he's one of my favorites! The gentleman on the Columbia recordings doesn't sound like Tarto. He sounds more "legit", like perhaps he's been classically trained.
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Your right, Tarto was a fine jazz player, but he was no slouch when it came to legit stuff. If it wasn't one of the many Hellebergs, my bet is on Fred Pfaff who is said to have had the best sound in the business. Were these recordings made in New Brunswick, NJ? If they were, my bet is on the Hellebergs as they lived in Asbury Park if memory serves me correct. I am a big fan of Klezmer, particularly Nauftuel Brandies(my spelling may be off on that one). I know that the Yiddish bands of that era opted for a trombone on the bottom because it cut through really well. I am interested in your research. Could you shot me some links to chuckjackson1@cox.net? I would apprecite it. BTW, We have some re-mastered Caruso recordings at the Station with a picture of the studio set-up. You can just make out August Helleberg in the corner with an upright tuba. he must have had to play REALLY loud to be picked up on the pre-electric mics of the time.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Naftule Brandwein

Post by Gongadin »

Thanks, guys, for the information.
Harold; I'll be e-mailing you soon!
Chuck; virtuoso Klezmer clarinetist Naftule Brandwein (sometimes spelled Brandwine on record labels) has trombone providing the bottom on his recordings because he used to hire his card-playing buddies for his sessions, regardless of how talented musically they were! ;) His cohort Sam Spielman played most of the trombone parts you hear. There are great stories of Brandwine almost electrocuting himself by wearing an Uncle Sam suit made entirely out of lights, dropping his pants onstage, and turning his back to the audience so that they couldn't copy his fingerings. He drunkenly weaved down a road in the Catskills while playing Brahm's Lullaby, and sometimes he would appear onstage with a large neon sign around his neck that read "Naftule Brandwein Orchestra". He was the self-proclaimed "King Of Jewish Music"....but do you know what? I think he was right, despite what some critics have to say when comparing Brandwein and Klezmer clarinetist Dave Tarras.