Paul Lavalle and The Band of America

in that recording
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Paul Lavalle and The Band of America

Post by jtuba »

Just picked up The Spectacular Sound of Sousa record from a shop and was wondering who's in the band/tuba section. My research attempts have come up with nothing thus far. Thanks.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

wtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Paul Lavalle and The Band of America

Post by wtuba »

Here's an article— follow down to the comments, one of which mentions several of the tuba players that played in the band... wtuba

http://militarymusic.com/blog/2009/09/j ... l-lavalle/
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I have a picture of the band in performance with the tubas standing out front obviously being featured.Fred Pfaff, Abe Torchinsky, Joe Tarto For Sure and there's a guy with a top action Martin or Conn who could very well be very well be Bill Bell. Fred spent his last 20 or so years here in Central Florida. He and Joe Tarto were regulars and the other two spots were probably filled by the best available guys, Harvey Phillips, Don Butterfield et al. Uncle Markie played the band near the end when they carried one tuba. Him. Mabye he'll jump in on this. He'd know better than most.Ed
The Singing Whale
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hbcrandy »

Ed:

Please post the photo to which you refer. We would love to see it.
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Randy, I don't know how to post pictures but I'll try to get some intelligent life form to help me. If I fail, I'll copy it and send it to you. Regards, Ed
The Singing Whale
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

Ed, if you have a scanner or can get someone to scan, it's pretty easy. Below your reply box is a tab "upload attachment". The photo has to be a certain size maximum is the only issue. Otherwise, find a photo sharing site, post it there, and share the link here. That would be a great picture to see!
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hbcrandy »

Ed Firth was kind enough to send me a hard copy of the photo below:
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

I bet they were playing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acruyj3Eh9M" target="_blank
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Post by Uncle Markie »

There were quite a few Band of America tuba players; I might have been one of the last. The radio/TV show band had quite a few people come through it. Joe Tarto was always there, and so was Fred Pfaff until he retired to Florida in the early 1950s. Many of Bell's students got a shot at it, including Don Butterfield, Abe Torchinsky, Joe Novotny and others although I don't think Bill Rose ever did the show. I think Fred Exner may have done Lavalle's Band too. Joe and Lavalle were old friends from their days with Vincent Lopez - Lavalle was a clarinet/alto guy named Joe Usifer before he got into numerology and changed his name. Nelson Rockefeller was a benefactor to Lavalle - Rocky liked musicians, backed the Claude Thornhill band too.

Andy Seligson preceded me in the "one tuba player" version of the touring Band of America. I worked with Andy in the Ringling Band in Madison Square Garden in 1977. Great player.

The band nearly went out of business at the end of the 1950s; Lavalle managed to have the band work at a theme park in the Bronx called Freedomland - kind of a Magic Kingdom in the Bronx. When the 1963-64 World's Fair opened, the Cities Service Oil Company revived the Band of America on a two car motorized bandwagon, which would pull up into a semicircle, and the band would play a little concert. Lavalle could and did beat a band to death - Bob Harley remembered playing the Carnival of Venice four times a day! Lavalle would have the band play WHILE THE CARS WERE MOVING; bumping along etc. Joe Tarto played this gig, too.

By the time I came long it was Paul Lavalle and the Band of America - no more Cities Service. They changed the name to Citgo and hired Ed McMahon as spokesman and sacked the band. Rumor was Lavalle got paid in company stock - which wouldn't surprise me.

Lavalle's profound ignorance of band literature coupled with a knack for playing what the public liked and a real flair for showmanship made working for him a unique (and learning) experience for me. He was a Joe Schillinger student and was pretty smart about getting a big sound out of a group. I have fond memories of him standing in front of the band playing "Dizzy Fingers" on clarinet with his squeaker Portnoy mouthpiece - trying to breathe wearing a girdle so he looked good in profile in his bandmaster jacket. Lavalle was a driven man, and if you worked for him you were expected to give everything you had all of the time.
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Thanks Mark, I was hoping you'd shed some light on this topic. Who do you think is playing the top banger in the picture.( it came from what Lee Richardson called Fred Pfaff in a box that I got when he passed away). All the Best to you, Ed
The Singing Whale
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Post by Uncle Markie »

Could be Harvey Phillips. He owned a Martin. Or maybe Fred Exner - the face is obscured by the bell. During one of my last conversations with Harvey we compared notes on our Martins. Exner's old horn is owned by Paul Scott who posts here frequently. Paul is a true Martin Maven.

Mark Heter
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.