CSO/ Solti Fantastique

in that recording
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

CSO/ Solti Fantastique

Post by eupher61 »

The local classical station just played the Witches' Sabbath. They didn't specify which recording, and don't list on line as far as I can find. A Wikipedia listing of Solti ' s discography does the only one with Gene would be 1992, and a live recording. This didn't sound like a live recording, no crowd noise of any kind. There was another done c. 1996, with Barenboim I think, where the Dies Irae famously was done in octaves, and the last statement done in the pedal range or something. My disc of that recording vanished shortly after I bought it. (Scott Mendoker on 2nd, maybe?)
Anyway, making a short story longer, on the one I just heard, the tuba was playing the bells statements down the octave, but it sounded like a trombone playing the original register. I don't recognize this recording. Any thoughts on which recording it was, and who was playing what? I'll try to call the station tomorrow.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Re: CSO/ Solti Fantastique

Post by eupher61 »

Ok.. It helps to have the right radio station. .. :|
This was the 1992 recording, live in Salzburg. They sure have quiet audiences!

Decca 436839 released by Arkiv.

Does anyone know the story? It certainly didn't sound like a tuba playing the upper. It seemed a much more directional sound, which is probably of no merit since it was a recording, but also much brighter.
vapourboy
lurker
lurker

Post by vapourboy »

I'm clueless to what this actual ensemble is likely to have used, but it could be any number of configurations. Could be a CC and a small F, could be ophicleide. Could even be a cimbasso if you find it's really a "directional" sound. Heck, could just be two Fs and the recording is picking up some funny acoustical phenomena from the unisons with the bassoons.
May even be something specified in the score besides Oph. 1 & 2; Berlioz was notorious for reorchestrating his works depending on the capabilities and available instrumentation of local orchestras and it just so happens that we've run with the version sporting 2 ophicleide, bass trombone having a lower tessitura than them, etc.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

definitely not bassoons, pachy. It was a much brighter sound than usually heard from a tuba. Maybe it was simply directional to the mic, I dunno, but my mental image was of a modern cimbasso or something else forward directional. Much more trombone-like, esp vs Gene's sound.
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

The 1992 recording is Mike Mulcahy on euphonium on the 1st part. Gene on the 2nd part on tuba. It's a live recording from Salzburg. No crowd noise at all.
The 1996 is Gene and Scott Mendoker, the Dies Irae gets dropped 2 octaves on that one.
tubalex
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubalex »

I played this with CSO in 2006, filling in for Tommy Johnson, who passed only a month or so later. RIP Tommy. Gene had me on CC tuba down an octave for the dies irae. F tuba for everything else and several doublings/octaves which are not originally in the 2nd tuba part. In that run up to super-high B-flat he had me play the entire run down an octave. The 2nd tuba part in my folder had all the additions/changes marked clearly in red pencil, looking like it was the standard way he wanted the 2nd part to happen.

The conductor was a young guy who, during the first break, came up to me and Gene and said "OK, teach me about the dies irae." You do not see that sort of thing much from conductors.

And that last dies irae with the whole brass section going and Chris Martin way at the other end of the section earning his tenure over and again? That was the loudest, most exciting thing I've ever heard/joined in on on stage. It didn't feel real. Still doesn't.
Alexander Lapins, DM
Eastman Musical Instruments Artist
University of Tennessee Faculty
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp Faculty
Quintasonic Brass
http://www.music.utk.edu/faculty/lapins.php
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

ZNC Dandy wrote:The 1992 recording is Mike Mulcahy on euphonium on the 1st part. Gene on the 2nd part on tuba. It's a live recording from Salzburg. No crowd noise at all.
The 1996 is Gene and Scott Mendoker, the Dies Irae gets dropped 2 octaves on that one.
I knew about the 96 recording. Interesting about this one. That explains the sound. I knew I wasn't totally nuts. Thanks Znc
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

I just pulled out the 1992 recording and it sounds like a trombone on the solo with Gene an octave lower. I guess they didn't want to bring a second tuba player on tour? Sure sounds better with two tubas.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

doublebuzzing, read the post immediately above yours...
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

eupher61 wrote:doublebuzzing, read the post immediately above yours...
How sure is he? I read on this forum that Charlie Vernon was playing that part on his trombone.

See the post by Pete Link here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=34616" target="_blank
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

Maybe the question remains open. ..
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

eupher61 wrote:Maybe the question remains open. ..
Yeah, I really have no idea. On first listening I thought for sure it was a trombone playing with Gene, but on re-listening to it I think it conceivably could be a euph.
Zaphod Beeblebrox
bugler
bugler

Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox »

There was a recording of Symphonie Fantastique done at the University of Illinois's Krannert Center in 1972. I own that recording, but I don't believe it can be bought new anymore. Roger Rocco plays second tuba, Jake plays first. And yes, they did split octaves. I asked Rocco.
Zaphod Beeblebrox, President of the Galaxy
Melton 32
1911 J.W. York and Sons BBb 6/4 BAT
Zaphod Beeblebrox
bugler
bugler

Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox »

Doc wrote:I have the London/Decca LP, and I really like it. Wish I had a USB turntable to digitize it for easier listening.
I *could* theoretically hook you up with the mp3s. I would say that would be illegal, but you all ready have the vinyl, and the CD doesn't appear to be for sale anywhere that I can find. Since it can't be bought, no problem in sharing it, right? Nobody loses money. Let me know.
Zaphod Beeblebrox, President of the Galaxy
Melton 32
1911 J.W. York and Sons BBb 6/4 BAT