Boston Pops

in that recording
fpoon
bugler
bugler

Boston Pops

Post by fpoon »

The Pops are by far (well, CSO is awesome too...) my favorite group out there. Who are some players who been in the Pops over the years?
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

I have seen Charles Villarubia and Gary Ofenloch (who knows Keith Lockhart from his Utah days) perform with them on occasion.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

Biggs wrote:
I have seen Charles Villarubia and Gary Ofenloch (who knows Keith Lockhart from his Utah days) perform with them on occasion.

Isnt' Gary still in Utah?
Yes, as far as I know. But every now and then, particularly on the 4th of July (when I last saw him with the Pops), he shows up on the Boston radar.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

I believe Gary is the tubist with the Pops Esplanade Orchestra. They do the July 4th gig.

The Pops is the BSO without principals (generally). The Esplanade is the Pops without the BSO.
Are you sure? I remember seeing at least a few BSOers in the esplanade..Craig Nordstrom and Larry Wolfe come to mind. But to further add confusion to this matter, the BSO website says "The Pops Esplanade Orchestra is made up of Boston-area free-lance musicians. " Is that including people from the BSO? Including Gary Ofenloch?
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Biggs wrote:
I believe Gary is the tubist with the Pops Esplanade Orchestra. They do the July 4th gig.

The Pops is the BSO without principals (generally). The Esplanade is the Pops without the BSO.
Are you sure? I remember seeing at least a few BSOers in the esplanade..Craig Nordstrom and Larry Wolfe come to mind. But to further add confusion to this matter, the BSO website says "The Pops Esplanade Orchestra is made up of Boston-area free-lance musicians. " Is that including people from the BSO? Including Gary Ofenloch?
Boston Pops and the Pops Esplinade are two separate groups. The Pops stays in town and the Esplinade is the road group, for the most part. Both fine groups. The Pops is mostly BSO folks, the Esplinade are mostly freelancers.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165