Buster Keaton's "The General" with 1987 Carl Davis Score

in that recording
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Buster Keaton's "The General" with 1987 Carl Davis Score

Post by Michael Bush »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncapCvk ... gbQLNZU_K3

The tuba is very well played in this soundtrack. Anyone know who it was, or who might know?
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Buster Keaton's "The General" with 1987 Carl Davis Score

Post by Tom »

I have presented "The General" with Carl Davis' score with the orchestra I was managing at the time.

There is no tuba part. The score does call for bass trombone, but the tuba you're hearing is actually a Yamaha DX-7 with the "tuba patch." This score (like a lot of Carl Davis' silent film work) has an extensive DX-7 book. The hardest part of doing this show was finding a DX-7 with a working drive and then rounding up all of the cartridges with the sounds called for in the book, but we pulled it off.

It was a cool show.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Tom wrote:This score (like a lot of Carl Davis' silent film work) has an extensive DX-7 book.
I know his "Ben Hur" score has a monster tuba part.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Yes, he certainly has written tuba into some of his scores. I did not mean that he never does, just that in quite a few cases he turns to DX-7 to fill out a lot of parts. I believe he has scored for 50 or so different silent films, so there is a wide variety of instrumentation in his scores.

One of his scores (The Eagle) even calls for Ophicleide as the intended instrument though there is a note indicating performance on tuba is acceptable.

I haven't presented a silent film with one of his scores for some time now...maybe it's time to explore doing some with my current orchestra...hmmmm.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Tom wrote: I haven't presented a silent film with one of his scores for some time now....
I've done them with him conducting several times. Seems a superhuman feat to hit the cues perfectly every time, but he did. 8)
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

Tom wrote: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:10 pm I have presented "The General" with Carl Davis' score with the orchestra I was managing at the time.

There is no tuba part. The score does call for bass trombone, but the tuba you're hearing is actually a Yamaha DX-7 with the "tuba patch." This score (like a lot of Carl Davis' silent film work) has an extensive DX-7 book. The hardest part of doing this show was finding a DX-7 with a working drive and then rounding up all of the cartridges with the sounds called for in the book, but we pulled it off.

It was a cool show.
How did you cover the harmonica part?
I just received the harmonica part for the Carl Davis arrangement. Please don't tell me that it was another DX-7 patch.
It takes a harmonica player who can read!
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba: