NYP/Mehta Symphonie Fantastique - Rite of Spring

in that recording
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

NYP/Mehta Symphonie Fantastique - Rite of Spring

Post by jtuba »

Berlioz recording is from 1980 and the Stravinsky is from '78. Thank you.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Re: NYP/Mehta Symphonie Fantastique - Rite of Spring

Post by happyroman »

The Berlioz recording was Warren Deck, with Sam Pilafian on 2nd tuba. Since Warren joined the symphony in 1979, the 1978 Stravinsky recording would probably have been Joe Novotny. No idea who played 2nd.
Andy
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

happyroman wrote:The Berlioz recording was Warren Deck, with Sam Pilafian on 2nd tuba. Since Warren joined the symphony in 1979, the 1978 Stravinsky recording would probably have been Joe Novotny. No idea who played 2nd.
Based on the tuba playing on the Stravinsky, it sounds very much like Warren Deck. I would be surprised if it wasn't him, but can't say for sure.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

I tried to verify the date of the recording, but all I could find was the date(s) the CDs were reissued, which was no help at all.

If 1978 is correct, then I don't see how it was Warren because he had not joined the orchestra yet. However, I do believe that Don Harry was doing a lot of subbing with the orchestra at that time, so it could have been him.

When Mr. Novotny retired, I remember that Don was considered by many to be favorite to win the audition because he had, in fact, had been playing with the orchestra.
Andy
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

happyroman wrote:I tried to verify the date of the recording, but all I could find was the date(s) the CDs were reissued, which was no help at all.

If 1978 is correct, then I don't see how it was Warren because he had not joined the orchestra yet. However, I do believe that Don Harry was doing a lot of subbing with the orchestra at that time, so it could have been him.

When Mr. Novotny retired, I remember that Don was considered by many to be favorite to win the audition because he had, in fact, had been playing with the orchestra.
Perhaps Warren had a trial period prior to 1979?
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

He was playing full time in Houston. I don't recall that he ever played with the orchestra prior to winning the job.
Andy
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

happyroman wrote:He was playing full time in Houston. I don't recall that he ever played with the orchestra prior to winning the job.
Did a little looking around and on this thread viewtopic.php?p=184492" target="_blank it is stated that it is Deck and Pilafian on the Rite both playing 5/4 Hirsbrunners.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

That's good to know. I have never listened to that recording, and was making an educated "guess" on the performers based solely on the date (1978) of the recording listed in the original post.

If the comment in the thread you posted is correct, and it was Warren and Sam, then it is highly unlikely that the recording was made in 1978.
Andy
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

I decided to contact Warren directly, and he confirmed that it is not him on the 1978 recording. He played with Don Harry on the Mehta Teldec recording (circa 1990-1991), but does not know who is playing on the 1978 recording.

Here is a link to the Teldec performance.

http://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-Rite-S ... +Printemps" target="_blank

So, unfortunately, we seem to be back to square one.
Andy
Gator
bugler
bugler

Post by Gator »

Tuba I: Joe Novotny
Tuba II: Pat Mills