Oringinal "Tubby the Tuba"

in that recording
Benjamin
bugler
bugler

Oringinal "Tubby the Tuba"

Post by Benjamin »

There are many virations to Tubby the Tuba, what orchastra did the music for the first ever Tubby the Tuba. Or any of them for that matter?
Benjamin.
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

On my LP (Decca DL8479) the credit says "Orchestra Directed by Victor Young". Probably an LA studio group, since the flip side is the Sam Goldwin Hans Christian Andersen soundtrack. It doesn't specify on the jacket, but I believe the tubist was George Bouje (sp?).

Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
Haugan
bugler
bugler
Location: Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay, Rockford, Il., Chicago, (depending on day & duty)

Original "tubby"

Post by Haugan »

I have an old recording with Paul Tripp narrating. I assume it is the FIRST recording of "Tubby the TUBA". Tripp's narration is priceless (after all he DID write the tale). In 1949 Tripp created and starred in a T.V. show for children --"Mr. I. Magination."-- "Tubby" was created in 1945. The recording I have features The "Stuttgart Symphony Orchestra" and MUCH better tuba playing than you'de expect from an orchestra "just rising out of the rubble" of WW2. I am kind of a nut for historical and original stuff, but THIS recording rates up with the one Julia Childs/Chester Schmitz did (nearly 20?) years later. It was pressed by: Golden Records, 250 W. 57th St., N.Y. 10019. I am not sure of the exact recording date (early 50s) or whether "Golden Records" has/had any relationship to "Golden Crest Records". Unfortunately, as was so often the case in those early "Tubby" recordings, there is no credit as to who "Tubby" was.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. --Shakespeare

It is my belief, that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to decieve - Mark Twain
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

There were two recordings of the Victor Young Orchestra playing Tubby. The soloist in both of these was George Boujie. Since Mr. Boujie was under contract to MGM at the time, I believe that the "Victor Young" Orchestra was actually a group of musicians from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. (Under the old studio system, motion picture studio musicians didn't freelance.)

Herbert Jenkel is the soloist on recording with Paul Tripp as narrator. In fact, Paul Tripp wrote the narration.

Composer George Kleinsinger was born in San Bernardino, California, but grew up in New York City. He actually wrote several Tubby the Tuba compositions.
bugler
bugler

Post by IkeH »

My former employer Danny Davis of Nashville Brass fame said when he was producing in NY he had Harvey play it. I don't know which version or who narrated. A question for when I see him again.

Ike
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I think it was on Golden Crest Records. You can check with them on it.